1998 Independent Fabrication Deluxe #454D818

andrewl":1y35acme said:
I don't want to sound critical but...

Why do Sh*t Storms always start like that? :LOL: Nah it's cool, but if I might address your points..

..the long stem and massive amount of post for a frame with a horizontal top tube just looks wrong..

135mm stem, about right for a 18-19" frame.. And the post isn't that far out of the frame really..? And isn't that TT sloping down slightly perhaps maybe?

..The brake levers also look to be at an odd angle for most human wrists...

I'll give you that one, but that's just how I roll ;)

..For me it just looks likes its trying to be an early 90s Yo in the tradition of riding a frame sze too small.

You're entitled to your opinion mate, but just as a comparison to my 95 ML Yo..

4456366091_ea3cfee2d9_d.jpg
4449714883_607ae10ef7_d.jpg

Nice going Kingroon! I knew the M952 group was in good hands! :D Although, what's up with the Candy pedals? :? Some older Time ATAC or Shimano PD-M858 would suit that build perfectly.

Stem is long and probably makes the handling front end heavy but wasn't that how we all used to ride bikes BITD . I remember a lot of horiz toptube bikes coming with massive stems as OE equipment.

Brakes levers are about the same angle I run them on my BMX :D

kingroon":3vy7iint said:
andrewl":3vy7iint said:
I don't want to sound critical but...

Why do Sh*t Storms always start like that? :LOL: Nah it's cool, but if I might address your points..

No shitstorm here ;) Its a fine machine, I just was expecting the finished look to be a little different than it actually is based on the catalog photo and snippits of information as the build progressed.

Anyway I'll get back in my box...

Looks fine to me and nicely proportioned. Whilst a lot of manufacturers were moving towards a higher front and shorter stem by the late 90s not all were.

These deluxe can trace their lineage back to Fat City and the Yo which were built as race bikes. This shows that in spades, lowish front and a stretched position - if you check ifriders.com you'll see even more modern IF deluxes have this old skool setup. Not sure if Roon checked but it may even be a custom (denoted by a C preceeding the serail IIRC). Move on a few years and IF moved towards a more modern geomtery, check my 06 in sig if you wish.

I confess that I thought a respray would be a crime (ok, possibly a misdemeanour) but that looks absolutely fantastic. Great choice of colour and beautifully restrained, top drawer build that highlights the clean, classic lines of the frame and fork.

There are those that don't get IF. I really don't know why.

It's very close to my Trailboss in colour and is probably a colourway I would have chosen as well for an IF even if buying new.

Fat Chance & IF were never on the radar for me BITD although I had heard of them...It was all about Klein for me back then! I can see why people like IF, I don't think they're making bikes that are that much better than the competition (Roberts, Seven etc.) but there's definately something about the brand which makes them desirable/special :D

love it :cool:
just think the carbon seatpost looks a bit odd
could do with a full black post and non embroidered flite ;)

I wonder if there is a big riding difference with my serotta 853 which is nearly contemporary and in the same tubing :?:

afraid still needs to finsh the buid though :roll:

Back