1946 Hetchins restoration

Mowgli

Old School Hero
Hi,
I've recently taken on the project of restoring my late Grandfathers Hetchins. I believe it is a 1946 Super Special, from looking at the lugs.

I've put some pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/garethuglow/Hetchins?feat=directlink
P1030108.JPG

My Grandfather rode the Tour de France on it at some point, and it was used by my father and Uncle throughout the 60s and 70s, and then, after it had fallen into a state of very poor repair, was resprayed by Argos in the early 2000s. Since then it's been sat behind the wardrobe. It doesn't have many parts with it, most are of 1970s vintage, and are broken or at best worn and very tatty.

I'm about to start getting it rebuilt and hopefully into good condition. I'm not a purist and don't expect to be able to find that many 1940s parts for it, but hopefully it will end up looking reasonably authentic. I am thinking of going for vintage Campag stuff, if the various threads match. I'm not sure whether to ride it fixed (fewer parts to find!) or try to find a suitable mech and shifters. It was only ever 5-speed.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's restored a bike from this era, and might have any tips for suppliers! First major problem is finding some 26"x1-1/4" wheels, followed by new bottom bracket, cranks, shifters...

Cheers

Gareth

Looks to be a great retro resto. If you're stuck, try J D Whisker for old Campag stuff - they used to list loads of old spares. 01707 324528.

Wheels in that size turn up on ebay occasionally. If you're really stuck though, 26 1/14 rims are 597mm and 700c are 622mm - that's only 12.5mm change in radius so it could work with very short drop brake calipers.

You could also try to find 650b (584mm) rims, which would require a 6.5mm pad drop.

Cool, thanks. I think I might try 700c, life will be much easier! The brakes are pretty long-drop at the moment anyway so I certainly don't want any smaller wheels, 700c should fit ok.

Cheers

Gareth

What a great story behind this bike, I really like the colour of the frame.

I will be following this closely!

Good luck with the parts search.

I am looking into getting a set of Phil Wood hubs with a five speed freewheel and fixed sprocket, built onto 700c rims. Not for the purists, but I think they could look pretty good...

The hubs are (were) quite good - Airlite. But the bearings are a bit ropey, and the chrome on the hub axle is a bit nasty too. And there are two fixed sprockets (which take an unusual chain) seized onto the rear hub. I might see if they'll clean up a bit for use as a fixie, but I wouldn't be doing many miles on them. I'd prefer a good set with a 5 speed on.

Back