Intro & New Project ('91 Rockhopper)

appaholic

Retro Newbie
Hello Folks:

So glad I found this forum as I am beginning a project on my '91 Specialized Rockhopper. My first MTB from my younger days, so sentimental attachment, but the frame fits me perfect. It originally came with FS air/oil, but blew out the bladder &, in my ignorance, didn't realize it could be repaired at the time. So, had someone fashion this horrible rigid just so I could use for cummuter. Now that other more pressing issues have been resolved (like buying a house....with a workshop!), I can begin this project & would appreciate any advice you folks could offer...

1- have a Manitou 3 with 1/18" steerer tube...can it be replaced with a crown containing 1" steerer tube?
2- considering making this a one-speed for DH. Is this advisable? Or should I consider complete refurb with multi-speed?
3- Is there a possibility at all of making this disc brake by changing the wheels?
4- how available are shcoks with 1" steer tubes?

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me just because of my ignorance. But this project is meant to serve 2-fold purpose: allow me to acquire knowledge on building/maintaining a bike as well as provide me with a sentimental bike I can be proud of...especially since I am living smack in the middle of some of the best MTB trails on east coast! Look forward to learning from you folks & thanks for providing this forum.

evx6uh5qovjry6v3dzbp.jpg

qnlc5477e6e57kz1y7bl.jpg

7ny07igvrcv5bilojqp4.jpg
[/img]

welcome to the forum. keep that bike out of the vice!

1.you can swap manitou crowms and steerers between forks.
2. if it were mine i'd keep it geared and for general riding rather than downhill - the geometry isnt suited and it would be a comprimise at best.
3. you would need to modify the frame by having disc mounts welded on and also using a disc ready fork, as well as changing the wheels
4. there are forks out there for a 1" steerer but they are not as common as 1 1/8. just keep looking!

lewis1641":vcyjtt35 said:
welcome to the forum. keep that bike out of the vice!

1.you can swap manitou crowms and steerers between forks.
2. if it were mine i'd keep it geared and for general riding rather than downhill - the geometry isnt suited and it would be a comprimise at best.
3. you would need to modify the frame by having disc mounts welded on and also using a disc ready fork, as well as changing the wheels
4. there are forks out there for a 1" steerer but they are not as common as 1 1/8. just keep looking!

Don't worry, it's just "setting" on the vice, not in it. Thanks for the info. So glad to hear about the crowns being interchangeable, so now I can just look for 1" crown. And the gearing may be subject to available affordable componenets...would really rather keep it geared myself as well...

Well, it's semi-complete & operational. Long-term, I will be removing the stickers & re-painting the frame & upgrading the tires. But for the short-term, I have a nice single-speed for playing around town. I must admit, I wanted to keep the stickers & frame in it's current condition just so I could see it rolling around in it's former glory ie; nostalgic reasons. But I know it would look alot sharper with a paint job & I learned how to install most of the parts to enable this future project. Thanks for the input from this forum.
83426757497227609688.jpg

26870410987368688187.jpg

66116816182315287656.jpg

28746211056520479589.jpg

Back