Presto Model Campagnolo

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Something really different than the Vitus FCK9/Zap I am busy with now: A really fine steel frame with conventional Campagnolo Nuovo Record groupset.

I just finished the major overhaul. My aim with the resto was to leave the patina fully in tact, but guarentee optimal function at the same time.

The 1st pics -->

4444941917_8cff49be1c_b.jpg

4444930535_6693e3fdea_b.jpg

4445713214_fb5642a9e1_b.jpg

Thank you

This mid 70s Presto (Amsterdam, Holland) frame is made by a masterbuilder with a very perfectionist attitude: Peter Serier. Peter had a background in fine machanics. Throughout the bike this shows. There are plenty nice touches.

Notice the slot with the drillings at the ends under the clampbolt. Peter considered that superior in constuction than the usual clamping-solution -->

4444931497_9448b075ae.jpg

Below pic does not only show you the tubing decal, but it also clearly shows you the ridges of the stay-tops. A typical Serier feature. Fellow masterbuilder Jan Legrand, who also built for Presto, did not do this. I have heard it is created for better brazing surface, heat flow off or something like that (feel free to add to this).

4444936835_39b3c3f9b7.jpg

Typical: Squarish brake bridge -->

4445705268_e44d90d4fd.jpg

...and there is also a little squarish tube behind the bracket. If you look very closely, below pic also unveils a little about the cable routing. There is no braze on, no, the cables run slotted in the bb shell itself. Simple.

4444938371_9aed5b6d8b.jpg

View on the Cinelli lugs and the top of the Presto-typical chromed forks. The fork has a complety smooth surface. The crown fits in the blades instead of the for the era more usual other way round -->

4444934381_4fb11260f6.jpg

Picture also provides a glimpse on the spacer between uppercup and locknut. So far all Prestos I've seen -and I've seen quite a lot- showed that setup. So steerer slightly longer than frame needs. A clear design choice obviously.

Lovely bike - and a nice restful shade of Green ;)

I like the seat clamp arrangement. Very clever and probably less stressful on that area of the frame.

Thank you all

To my previous post I would like to add that every Presto is build individually and is in fact a one off. Also in the characteristics mentioned above there can be differences in execution from frame to frame.

I happen to have another goldish-painted Presto frame, also a 'Model Campagnolo' and though alike it is very different at the same time. The lugs have more cut outs and have seen more filing. The drop outs are drilled. Probably all in an attempt to save additional weight. The Presto could also be ordered with 753 tubing. They were very expensive in the day and while you won't see a 531 one on every corner of the street, the 753 is even more rare.

The groupset
I will not come as a surprised that the 'Model Campagnolo' comes with a full Campagnolo groupset. In this case it is Nuovo Record.

Nuovo Record shift-control >>

4445711596_152f3ee52e.jpg

Looks like a regular shifter, but when looking closely you spot a 2nd small lever hidden under the shifter. This pic shows it better >>

4444935369_5ab820c79e.jpg

When you lift the bit you can position the shifter one step down and the chain will shift onto below plate that sits bolted to the frame >>

4444935853_125f66d9d9.jpg

The purpose is that when you take the rear wheel out, you first shift down onto the plate and the chain will still be tensioned with wheel out.

A couple other bits of the groupset >>

4445706160_eb339852b3.jpg

Crankset

4444932921_abbb17156e.jpg

Rear mech

4445712700_6b38dbcb02.jpg

'Portacattaneo' - I had a set once but the frame wasn't drilled to take dropout part. Not often seen fitted.

Another fine Dutch bicycle Melvin. Lvoe the detail on that frame and commend your decision to restore as is with patina intact :)

I'd heard of that chain carrier thingimijiggy before, but never seen one in situ. thx for posting up.
Great colour BTW. Funny how very few choose green ,but I reckon they always look good. My latest project (mtb) will be british racing green, with a hand painted olde worlde enamel.

Back