trek 8700 project

That is very cool, paint looks good in the pics too :cool:

Trek is a bit under represented here, esp given the maximum lovin' for some other mass market brand(s) :? . They did some good steel stuff early 90s along with their alloy, carbon and oclvs.

Trek was one of the last brand saling steel frames with lugs.

So, I don't have the grafton brakes as writen in the 8900 catalog. The only error on the bike is the ATAC stem, which was on the 8900 with the grafton.
But if I really want, I've got a RockShox 1 at home :LOL:

And what about the carbon tubing of this frame ? They cracked a lot ?

24pouces":1rs7lape said:
Trek was one of the last brand saling steel frames with lugs.

So, I don't have the grafton brakes as writen in the 8900 catalog. The only error on the bike is the ATAC stem, which was on the 8900 with the grafton.
But if I really want, I've got a RockShox 1 at home :LOL:

And what about the carbon tubing of this frame ? They cracked a lot ?

I had a 8900, purple/grape; it came with the dia-compe brakes, and everything else as you have listed above. It also had an answer ultralite handle bar. I found it to be a strong/durable bike, much moreso than the later oclv carbon frames. (Though I liked the oclv's more, hehe)

nice find!

lovely bike.....my first proper mtb was a 91 trek 8000,three pages further into that years catalogue,my paper round cash wouldnt stretch to that model but i spent several hours wishing it would!!.....timeless colour scheme too,instantly recognisable to us more educated types....is the super big fork rescuable?....its proportions better suit the frame......

feetabix":2e2rtdny said:
is the super big fork rescuable?....its proportions better suit the frame......
For the story, I have bought a quit complete 8700 in belgium, ther's 2 years ago, with big fork. 6 month latre, I have found this smaller frame and the wheels but without a fork. But some parts of the first bike were a little rust but can be cleaned. But for the fork, it did some noise, and the painting in the down legs were going away with a lot of rust? I drilled the fork and a lot of rust parts were going away. So for security (My bikes are all riden !) I prefer to find a new big fork. I have found these this summer, NOS, and it's really the same as the original.
So, I have to do another paint job of the bike. The fork will be neon orange too ! :LOL:

If someone could give me how to pickle varnish without damaging the carbon tubing ?

So, I've got the RS1
Why not building the 8900 :LOL:

trektq3.jpg

trek 8700 - front suspension

I have a trek 8700 circa 1994. Shimana Deore XT/LX mix. No suspension, and after all these years I am thinking of adding a front suspension fork? Any suggestion for a fork I could fit that might complement the bike?

For such a bike, a first Rock-Shox Judy I think, but the first model with 2" travel ;). Or if you are lucky : a trek-mogul-showa fork :D

Back