Retro or classic

BOSS

Dirt Disciple
Why are old bikes called retrobikes?
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

So is "Classic bike" not a better name for an old bike?

What do you think?

dusssss©

BOSS":22hrtwa9 said:
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

What do you think?

well, i think it depends on your definition of 'old'. most of the bikes i see discussed here are from the 80's and 90s. as far as cycling goes, that is not 'old' by any means and i don't think they can yet qualify as classic bikes. maybe classic moutain bikes, but that gets to some fine detail.

what you say about retro is true, and depending on perspective these retrobikes are new with influences of bikes created 50 years ago. i liek the term...though i don't actually use it in person. ;)

weps":32g7xsvq said:
BOSS":32g7xsvq said:

What do you think?

well, i think it depends on your definition of 'old'. most of the bikes i see discussed here are from the 80's and 90s. as far as cycling goes, that is not 'old' by any means and i don't think they can yet qualify as classic bikes. maybe classic moutain bikes, but that gets to some fine detail.

I was refering to MTB's of course..........

dussssss©

doesnt mean jack ;) although it doesnt apply to the true meaning of retro according to the dictionary, its so widely used as to be accepted.

mac struts on early 90s XC FS bikes werent really like mac strut suspension units used in cars, but the name stuck anyway :)

For me roughly the 'old' MTBs are still the norm, so Classic also doesn't really do it for me. From this perspective Retro would do even better, as they also refer to yesteryear ;)

- Melvin

For me classic or old skool would do the trick.

Retro sounds to modern.

dussssss©

On my 1988 Koga I miss the modern feature HG. All my other bikes are modern. Most later innovations I consider abundant or a mistake.

- Melvin

Elev12k":38jm43nu said:
On my 1988 Koga I miss the modern feature HG. All my other bikes are modern. Most later innovations I consider abundant or a mistake.

- Melvin

Right but you're not normal ;)

dussssss©

- Melvin[/quote]

Right but you're not normal ;)

dussssss©[/quote]

yeh, but whats normal anymore? spending vast sums building 12year old bikes? riding £4K bikes that can only go DH or riding fixed gear s.speeds? :LOL: ;)

Back