Olmo or Benotto

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I have been looking for a frame for a while to add to the Merckx, something nice but not too flash as it will get built to be a daily rider, for training etc and generally cruising about in the crap weather. To save the Merckx.
I found two frames which take my fancy, one is a Benotto SLX from the early nineties, the other is an Olmo competition special from late 70's/early eighties.
I dont have any pics at the moment but just wondered peoples opinions on both brands/models and/or any advice. Both bikes are solid but a bit rough. Olmo is black and the Benotto is a fancy but rough paint work.
Will post pics later when I get a couple I can use.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Its vague I know, but it will do for now.
Jamie

As Brian Glover famously said: "Remember the [Alamo!] Olmo!"

6640-603.gif

Too many choices

Well, it gets even more complicated now :D
This will be my last build up for a while, this year at least, as we are expecting a baby later this year :D , our first.
Fatfixie and I have have been slowly sorting a deal on a Tomassini, after my Merckx, my most lusted after bike. Hence the post above. Thought everything had gone cold and wasnt happening but now might be back on :D
Certainly couldnt use it as a run around, trainer maybe.
I was leaning more towards the Benotto, it caught my eye and looked like it would clean up really well, ride well as is. The Olmo I dont know much about the competition model, thats why I asked here. Its in rougher condition, its a black frame with chrome forks, usual Olmo orange highlights.
Both are almost the same money, with the Benotto being slightly cheaper. I have also dealt with the people selling the Benotto before and they are pretty helpful. The Olmo is actually now on ebay, so it could be a lot cheaper than he wants. Neither are show bikes or high end, thats not what I was going for with this, both are probably normal money, maybe upper end of fair prices. Its more about the size.
I didnt want this to be a how much is it worth or are they worth it thread, hence why I didnt put pics or prices, was just asking about the brands/models. It seems there is some strong opinions, as expected ;)
This may all be for nothing now if the Tomassini is back on the boards :roll: I will just have to make it the daily rider. :cool:
It will be a bit more expensive than either of these but thats what the MTBs are for........ selling to appease the roadie gods.
Heres the Benotto

The downtube has clear tape on the underside which is peeling
14767-big-1.jpg

Jamie

I've seen the olmo, on e-bay. And even though i'm a olmo fan,
i'd go for the Benotto, purely on condition.
As for the TOM, very nice bikes....

Back