First North Wales Creme Egg Ride - Saturday April 3rd

crud":2eu22tjw said:
:D

anyone ridden this recently?

Im going to have a crack at it saturday morning Mr K if you require me to take note of any details?

Good starting points; pub stops; view points; places of interest... the usual stuff! Oh, and how long the loop might take...

Mr K

crud":21e00d59 said:

Im going to have a crack at it saturday morning Mr K if you require me to take note of any details?

Good starting points; pub stops; view points; places of interest... the usual stuff! Oh, and how long the loop might take...

Mr K

mrkawasaki":2zch5vbb said:
crud":2zch5vbb said:

Mr K

and lots of piccies.

No problem, watch this space.

Count me in +1 if you don't mind, My mate is not a member but has a mint 95 kilauea,it's gonna be my first retrobikes ride on my freshly built p7. Have you got meeting time and location and also an expected finish time?

crud":1r4b1fw2 said:

very cold, very windy, very wet and some killer climbs. I think Easy_Rider will be on later to add some info.

Im shattered.

Sounds perfect!

Looking to forward this one, just hope we get some nice weather.

On this occassion it will be Mr. K's turn to choose who decides the 'bike of the ride'. Given his bitter jealously/childish sniping at me winning it last time I wish him the best of luck on this occassion!

Well what a day!

The first thing I want to get off my chest is that the route card map and the directions are pretty poor. The directions are quite vague in places, and we had to stop at every junction to decide which way we are supposed to go, the junctions are poorly described to what you might think they are. We wasted a of time doing this.

The map doesn't show anywhere near the number of forest fire roads there are. I've done an OS map of the area here, compare this to the route card map and you can see why there was a lot of head scratching :LOL:

So we were joggling the route map, the directions and OS map.

Weather was poor to say the least, heavy mist dropping in and out, rain most of the way, I can imagine on a nice day it will be very beautiful.

Suggested route card start point, couldn't see the toilets as marked, just the picnic tables. I wonder if the Brenig visitors centre might be a better start point, there is a cafe and toilets, but you may have to pay for parking.
SNC13347.JPG

The first trail out of the car park
SNC13348.JPG

We took the suggested view point (by mistake because of the directions..)
SNC13351.JPG

Photo op
SNC13352.JPG

Typical fire road and tracks
SNC13353.JPG

SNC13356.JPG

Crud hanging out looking very retro with jeans on!

SNC13357.JPG

Nice photo op, this is around the 10km mark
SNC13360.JPG

SNC13361.JPG

SNC13362.JPG

SNC13363.JPG

SNC13364.JPG

SNC13365.JPG

SNC13369.JPG

Alwen reservoir
SNC13371.JPG

The slog through the mist to the Brenig (not sure if we should skip this loop??
SNC13375.JPG

SNC13379.JPG

The Brenig Visitors centre provided a welcome break for lunch!
SNC13381.JPG

At this point, because of the constant stopping and the horrible weather we decided to make our way back to the van. So we went over the dam wall and detoured right to pick up the trail back (the same trail in).

My cycle computer said (i think its reading a couple of miles under as compared to the km markings on the route card).

Distance 28.46miles (45.80km)
Riding time only 3hrs 19minutes
Top Speed 33.5mph woohoo

We set off about 10am and returned to the van about 3pm. Again, neither of us are the fittest, i'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether the hole loop is possible and how long it will take. I think 4.5hrs is possible if you know the route or have a better map, but is on the very optimistic side.

Good effort on the recce chaps. Looks like the key to Mr K's success is delegation then. ;)

The location all looks very scenic and atmospheric in the mist. I'm really looking forward to a good long all day ride out.

Thanks for that report - sterling work. As some of you may know - my Deputy Dawg is laid low currently and, to be honest, we at RB Towers weren't sure there would be demand for rides in Wales... hence we may not have our customary anal approach to this one!

However, I have no doubt that we'll have a good day out - even if I have to hand over a 'BoTD' sticker to Sinnett...

Mr K - in the mist

PS. Looks like rigid will be favourable - bring out the old dogs!

Attachments

• Fogmeister.jpg
    Fogmeister.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,288

Latest posts

Back