More fun with a Sunn (with added Retroness)

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Sunn Urge UN 1999 - bought off the evilbay recently.

I bought it for the frame really, but it came with quite a nice set of bits:

1999 Sunn Urge UN - Fuji SL double-butted CrMo ;)
RockShox SL Dukes 80mm
STX RC hubs + with Ritchey Rock Comp rims/DT db spokes
Amoeba Scud carbon bars
Easton EA50 stem
Aerozine gold headset
RPM (never heard of em but seem ok?) square taper cranks, with gold self extractor bolts
DMR Moto RT tyres - suprisingly good grip for what is basically a 26" bmx tyre!
Gold CNC seatpost
WTB saddle
Osyssey A Brakes + Avid levers - I guess these were Vs designed for bmx, but they are amazingly powerful brakes! No mud clearance though :LOL:

I've added a 36t custom-made SS front ring (I ordered one for my XTR SS cranks from a guy in the states and he sent the wrong size. Ended up sending me another one and telling me to keep this. Nice bloke!), half link chain, and some Eggbeater pedals.

Went for a first proper blast on it up on Haldon Hill this evening. Beautifully balanced handling - really zippy feel to it :D

4451229709_03ed55910f_o.jpg

4452003436_71685ebbed.jpg

spooky but pretty sunset through the trees!

4452002374_86f0a6c1f3.jpg

Really like that, nice tubing dimensions and I bet it's got a sweet flex to it :D

:cool: Sunn's always look great. Looks the biz singlespeed.

Nice :D

Found the Fox floats on my Hei Hei nice to look at and stiff but not as smooth as those Dukes...maybe a trip to Tim (Flooks) at TF is in order!

Had a fettle with the bike, and added/changed a few bits.....

- Managed to sort out the magic SS ratio - 36x17 - so no unsightly tensioner.
- Bought some stripped/polished Maguras from someone here, with rather nice aftermarket CNC levers and metal hoses. Stripped these down, serviced andbled 'em. Working a treat now. Also painted the boosters black to match the bike,

Just been out for a quick 10 mile blast up on Haldon.....lovely evening for it :cool:

4531822506_53152d9602_b.jpg

4531193951_94a452920f_b.jpg

4531830864_c7ffcf2bcd_b.jpg

4531203571_2b75f5e8d5_b.jpg

That's lovely :). A couple of q's - what are (were) those fancy looking canti's and how are you getting on with the half-link chain and which one is it?

Cheers :D

The red brakes are Odyssey A-Brakes. Designed for BMXs originally, so not much clearance - but very powerful (also a total bugger to set up the spring tension!)

The half-link chain is a Gusset Slink in 3/32 size. This one has been on both my SS bikes, and is probably 8 months old now.
Good chains - they do seem to stretch a little initially, but after that they seem to last for ages.

Latest posts

Back