Out of the skip.. and ready to ride....

:shock: it's ridiculous that our society has come to throwing away perfect good working items just because it's old! :roll:

this world has definitely become a land of wasteful excess!

Christ! I'm amazed! Great save! :p
I get a mix of emotions when reading through that thread about the things people have found in skips.

I love seeing people prosper from other people's wastefulness, in fact I'm one of them on a weekly basis! But I can't help thinking that the people simply throwing anything useful away need a serious reality check. The idea that when you no longer want something you simply throw it into a hole in the ground is to me one of the most dangerously short-sighted ideas imaginable.

Glad the Stumpy has found a new home though! I'm sure your brother will be very happy with it :cool:

Re: .

Grannygrinder":14bfmkx9 said:
V.Nice. But why oh why did it end up at the tip in the first place?

It is not without it's issues.. badly set up and non functioning gears [ now working ok ] bent but now straightened wheel.
Evidence of a broken rear hanger but has been carefully welded by the looks of it.
The cranks have the wrong bottom bracket fitted but not causing a problem.
It looks a bit tired I suppose and some people think looks are everything :roll:

Had my first off road pedal on it today, takes me back a bit. . . .No sus and loads better off road than on. It feels pretty dead on the tarmac tbh , but off road it is pretty lively.

Raced the dogs around the common, the collie still beat me but only just :LOL:

Those dodgy looking cantis actually worked ok so might not put v brakes on it yet at least. It climbed better than my Magura does but that is down to the lack of suspension, down hill it is seriously slower but still fun, it does buck about a bit, to be expected I suppose.

I saw my brother today and he is interested in swapping it for my old C16 I traded for a Cyrus amp years ago with him. His Stumpy got trashed when he bust both chainstays at once landing a big drop off in his best thuddy style :? :roll: :oops: :p

Will try and get to a few events on it this year, maybe the Marin Rough Ride.

I agree with all the sentiments above about throwing away perfectly useful stuff (be they retro classic bikes or anything else for that matter). Grrrreat find btw!

Someone earlier briefly mentioned Freecycle. For those who have never heard of it there are a couple of big sites for recycling items that you no longer want, to others who may be able to use them.

One is Freecycle http://www.uk.freecycle.org/
The other is Freegle http://www.ilovefreegle.org/

Both are worthwhile. I myself am a member of Freegle and have recycled over 50 computers and repaired dozens of others for members to keep stuff out of the tip. So whatever it is - Spread The Word!!!

Effluent area... ha ha like it, .. My local area is a bit stinky but the town is generally very wealthy. The estate I live on has some problems but most folk have massive tellys and fat cars, their bikes are pretty cack though :LOL: but they tend to get pinched from outside the offy anyway :roll:

Lots of middle class people here, with a tendency to wastefulness. We are one of the most polluting areas in the UK due to wealth [ big cars and foreign holidays ] .. I do my bit to make up for these chuck away types :)
I only did 4950 miles in my van in the last 12 months. I only throw stuff away when it is really really knackered.... Lots of sheds full of slightly worn out but serviceable tat :)

Latest posts

Back