1939 DX Schwinn Ace -- Finished

Ductape":28rx661a said:
Jeff, the rims look cool. What hubs did or will you get?

Thanks T

I'm going contemporary Sturmey Archer...

XL-FD up front -- 90 mm drum
X-RD8(W) out back -- 8 speed drum

J_Westy":lg3au6a3 said:
street":lg3au6a3 said:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)

It's my favorite year too with the '36-'38 C-model a close 2nd.

I was lucky and found mine cheap (free after selling off the parts).

But, from what I've seen, you'll pay $100-300 for a frame or frame/fork in the US.

Here's one for $220:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1649296740.html

Thanks for the info, that's not as expensive as I thought! :p
That one in the link on Craigslist looks great for the money. I guess once I've shipped it here it'll be a bit less of a bargain but still,at least I know what I need to save to get one :)

Again good luck with yours, I think having the rims anodized was a good choice. Looking forward to the next update!

street":2tjwuy8x said:
J_Westy":2tjwuy8x said:
street":2tjwuy8x said:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)

It's my favorite year too with the '36-'38 C-model a close 2nd.

I was lucky and found mine cheap (free after selling off the parts).

But, from what I've seen, you'll pay $100-300 for a frame or frame/fork in the US.

Here's one for $220:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1649296740.html

Thanks for the info, that's not as expensive as I thought! :p
That one in the link on Craigslist looks great for the money. I guess once I've shipped it here it'll be a bit less of a bargain but still,at least I know what I need to save to get one :)

Again good luck with yours, I think having the rims anodized was a good choice. Looking forward to the next update!

FWIW,
I think the cost of a cool klunker sneaks up on you. The nature of the bike is such that each piece is bought seperately. Just look at J's, build here and see the labor of love over every component. Before you know it, you have spent more money than you would like your wife to know about. If you start with a newer bike like a quality 80's boutique bike frame, you can usually find a correct production bike in good shape to use as a donor.This is one of the reasons I like the klunkers so much. Each one is a reflection of the owners vision (and pocketbook) of what a klunker should be.
Cheers,
T

Picked up the seatpost from the anodizer today -- went with clear this time.

Like the last one, my buddy turned it out of 1" 6061 stock. 13/16 main shaft and a 7/8" head.

P1110162.jpg

P1110163.jpg

That reminds me that i have to turn down a new seatpost for mine. It got bent chasing the DH boys down Innerleithen Black Run last summer :LOL:

Looking good. Any more progress?

Dr S":2g23bd1v said:
That reminds me that i have to turn down a new seatpost for mine. It got bent chasing the DH boys down Innerleithen Black Run last summer :LOL:

S ,that dont come across to well

but i know what you mean :D

Latest posts

Back