1939 DX Schwinn Ace -- Finished

J_Westy":2jxzfml5 said:
Ductape":2jxzfml5 said:
J,
Have you tried fitting that headset yet? Does it all look good. I appreciate it when you do my homework for me. Still need to find a headset for the "C" build.

Hey T,

Yes, the standard BMX headset with the 32.7mm cup outside diameter is what you want.

... what did you decide was the best spindle length for your TA's on the "C" build. I got a TA BB/spindle set up when I got my cranks, but have a hunch the spindle is too short.

On the "C" I put on a Shimano 68x115 with the TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit plus a 1mm shim on the right side, but I'm nervous it puts the crank arms too close to the chainstays, so I'm going to try a 118 on this build.

Also remember, I'm running single chainring -- you're going to run a triple -- right?

I am starting to slowly find a few parts for the "C". I will get motivated and post a build thread here on RB.

I see you put up some info on your builds tonight! Can't wait to see them start going together!

Got motivated and posted my primary four builds last night.....Whew. Excited about a frame coming in the mail, so got bikes on my mind.

I read somewhere (I read way too many forum threads) that some BMX cups don'tt fit well in the prewar frames (not to be confused with MTB 1" issues of course).

Yes a triple chainring on my C. I remember when I did the DX I researched for days before having my buddies shop order me the right BB. Of course it was too small and we had to add lib that day to find a different spindle that fit. One cool thing I found for the C build is some original Bullseye chainrings that are drilled for the TA bolt pattern. Should add some cool factor when complete.
Cheers,
T

Ductape":2tmujdv5 said:
I read somewhere (I read way too many forum threads) that some BMX cups don'tt fit well in the prewar frames (not to be confused with MTB 1" issues of course).

Yes a triple chainring on my C. I remember when I did the DX I researched for days before having my buddies shop order me the right BB. Of course it was too small and we had to add lib that day to find a different spindle that fit. One cool thing I found for the C build is some original Bullseye chainrings that are drilled for the TA bolt pattern. Should add some cool factor when complete.
Cheers,
T

To be honest, I did get some weird Neco headset off ebay to begin with on the C that was entirely too small... it was $5, so it wasn't worth returning. Regardless, look for 32.7 mm when you source one for the Schwinn.

With respect to the bottom bracket, it gets even more sketchy when you commingle ISO crank tapers with JIS spindles :LOL: . I think it's best to work with a stash of length possibilities if you can!

The Bullseye chainrings sound awesome!

Who would do that! :shock: (mental note, check DX crankarms for tightness when I get home)... :LOL:

Shouldn't you be working right now........

Ductape":r1aldtuu said:
Who would do that! :shock: (mental note, check DX crankarms for tightness when I get home)... :LOL:

No worries. It's usually OK to commingle because the angle is the same -- according to Sheldon Brown:

ISO cranks (Campagnolo, Stronglight, others) won't go as far onto J.I.S. spindles as they ideally should.

J.I.S. cranks (most Japanese models) may bottom out if installed on ISO spindles.

In practice, you can very often get away with mixing these sizes, as long as you select an axle length that gives the desired chainline.

Aren't you supposed to be at work too :LOL:

This is like the worlds slowest striptease in reverse! Only sexier!! :oops:

I'll get my grubby mac with the buttons missing!! :shock:

al":19nokqu8 said:

Sorry to drag this out for you al... just not enough money to do it any faster ;)

The TA's finally arrived from Spa Cycles. New 175mm Anniversary set.

I also got an older 27T ring from them and had previously ordered a 30T from RoBa Bikeparts in Germany. I think I'll start with the 27T given the gear ratios in the SA 8-speed hub.

As received:

P1110045.jpg

With retro stickers:

P1110046.jpg

J_Westy":1ze383sy said:
al":1ze383sy said:

Sorry to drag this out for you al... just not enough money to do it any faster ;)

The TA's finally arrived from Spa Cycles. New 175mm Anniversary set.

I also got an older 27T ring from them and had previously ordered a 30T from RoBa Bikeparts in Germany. I think I'll start with the 27T given the gear ratios in the SA 8-speed hub.

As received:

P1110045.jpg

With retro stickers:

P1110046.jpg

Can't you hold up the stage from broken knee gulch? I hear she's full a gold heading for the 1st National Bank in Carson city!! :D

I'm a limey,sorry. ;)

I decided to save up and get my Araya 7C's stripped and re-anodized in red to match the pedals... and maybe red pin-stripes on the frame someday... I haven't fully settled on that decision yet.

P1110106.jpg

P1110105.jpg

P1110108.jpg

For those that might be interested, I found this picture of an old Araya poster on a BMX site.

Araya.jpg

Such a lovely collection of parts! This is going to be so sweet :cool:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)

street":2250x1a4 said:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)

It's my favorite year too with the '36-'38 C-model a close 2nd.

I was lucky and found mine cheap (free after selling off the parts).

But, from what I've seen, you'll pay $100-300 for a frame or frame/fork in the US.

Here's one for $220:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1649296740.html

Latest posts

Back