Ok, what's the score with Ceramic rims - knowledge please...

Yeah Gus, my rims are showing signs of wear but there's still a few years left in 'em yet. I couldn't even begin to tell you how old they are though!

Four years with no signs of wear for your rims doing similar mileage sounds very good though. Looks like you'll have to take the plunge and try the ceramic pads out and tell US the difference fella! ;) :LOL:

FWIW I find the normal pads on the cermanic rims a bit grabby (especially on the front) and hence prefer the feel of the ceramic pads.

The normal pads will melt quite quickly too if you get them hot enough with the ceramic rim.

seeing as my days of going down hills fast are appearing to ebb away and my keen-ness for climbing is increasing, I'd say the only problem I have with pad rubbage (oohherr) is not from over braking to avoid dying, but rather the constant rubbing of one side then the other when my SID's flex when locked out - ha ha. :D

Still open to advice on the subject.

Wu-Tangled":2btp464y said:
seeing as my days of going down hills fast are appearing to ebb away and my keen-ness for climbing is increasing, I'd say the only problem I have with pad rubbage (oohherr) is not from over braking to avoid dying, but rather the constant rubbing of one side then the other when my SID's flex when locked out - ha ha. :D

Still open to advice on the subject.

Aha... if you go up, you have to come down! ;)

I don't have the problem of flexy SID's (although I have owned a couple of pairs of SL's and loved 'em) I use a rigid Black Sheep ti fork. :)

stevek":29wi7ojq said:
I don't have the problem of flexy SID's (although I have owned a couple of pairs of SL's and loved 'em) I use a rigid Black Sheep ti fork. :)

the rigid option (RC31 Ti) is even worse. And they also have that oh so British trait of being well designed, lovely hand made British lovliness that just happens to be wonky.

So you really want to praise them and be proud, but actually they twist your spindle to get them in!

I remember the owners manual of my F6 saying "If you find any odd machining or burrs, consider them an individual characteristic of your hand made frame"

classic.

Love/ hate relationship rant over.

normal (XT V's) pads on 517 ceramics = squeal piggy squeal
ceramic pads (XT V's) on 517 + hold your mouth rught to stop squeal
ceramic pads with XTR V's on 517s = peace and quiet, better stopping power than my mate's Hope monos (but they aren't aset up right so probably not afair comparison)

Wine was a factor in the last post. Very nice Chardonnay. Proper French Chardonnay, none of this new world muck.

Back