Another Hei Hei....99% finished!

Thanks. Clean because it doesn't get ridden much lol Had this bike since new so there's always something special about rolling it out on a dry summers day :D

Fox forks now gone, I was offered a set of TB Project 2s for a great price in grey so they had to go on!

Pics to follow soon. Looking forward to riding a rigid MTB offroad again for that real retro experience, aching wrists & arms etc :D

Here's the bike now with the P2s fitted. Might do a 12 hour at the end of the month on this (weather permitting). Rides nice and now weighs in at 21lb so nice and light without being flimsy!

Attachments

• Hei Hei_TB_1.jpg
    Hei Hei_TB_1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Hei Hei_TB_2.jpg
    Hei Hei_TB_2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Hei Hei_TB_3.jpg
    Hei Hei_TB_3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 392
Cool Kona!

This Hei Hei is a really cool build! I like the new school parts / retro look aproach on this one! Very cool and usable.
Wouldn't a 93 Hei Hei need a shorter fork? Me thinks the '94 Hei Heis where the first suspension correctet frames... Not sure though.

Greetz Dan

I believe the fork is a '94/95 model so would be suspension corrected for 80mm? I used to run the original Manitou 3s on the long travel setting which I reckon was pretty similar to these and they certainly feel okay. The change in geometry was quite noticable with the Foxes on set at 100mm.

I have toyed with the idea of stripping this and trying to find original components but I just like the look of the M960 XTR too much so it's staying as is. To be honest I'm kind of thinking that this is what the bike would have become anyway over the years as an 'evolution' of the original as parts were upgraded etc.

The original '93 XT cranks and BB are still doing good service on my Fire Mouintain :D

Cheers

The Hei Hei isn't that rare so you'll probably get hold of one, not sure how much they go for these days though.

Everytime I look closely at the bike (especially the welds!) I'm reminded just how well made it is. If it had discs I'd use it all the time!

It's a good thing it doesn't have disc tabs otherwise the quest for the perfect hardball would be redundant. half the fun is in the chase.

Back