Ok, what's the score with Ceramic rims - knowledge please...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Apologies for the techy nerdy (tyre conversation like) question, but I NEED to know....

Dug out my 217 Ceramics yesterday and am running 517 Ceramics on bikes regulaly.

I use std shimano pads for alloy rims on these ceramic rims, as a (admittedly slightly mental) friend put me off using ceramic specific pads as he said they ate his rims and didn't stop any better.

Is this the case? Or have I been missing out on a wholey better braking experience all these years as a result of hearsay?

*Do Ceramic rims work better with ceramic pads? Or do they just last longer?

*What about Avid vs Shimano? Any good/ bad experiences with either?

I just don't want to kill the rim surface, but better wet braking would be good.

Talking about V's by the way, not cantis.

Thanks gang, for any info/ knowledge in advance.

I used the ceramic specific pads from magura (red and grey) on ceramic mavics and the performance was terrible and they wear down my rims, the ceramic specific pads do last longer though. Used the regular black ones ever since and never had a problem.

As above many say the standard pads (once some pad material is deposited) work better that the hard ceramic specific. Never use the ceramic pads on standard rims is the other rule...

I only ever used std XTR canti pads on 231 ceramics, and they were fine.

...unlike the ceramic coating after I dinged the rim a couple of times a week after I bought them :evil:

I can't comment on using regular pads on ceramic coated rims as I've never tried it. Personally I've only ever used ceramic pads with my 517 ceramic rims and the rims are still in pretty good shape considering some of the horrible gloopy Winters they've been through. I try to average a minimum of 2 rides per week of 20+ to 30+ miles duration. Unfortunately like everything those rims ain't gonna last forever. :-(

Maybe I should try some regular pads and see what the difference in wear/braking is.

I've used ceramic rims/pads in conjunction with Avid Ultimates and XTR V brakes and I've gotta say the Ultimates are the best V's I've ever used rivalling my discs in all conditions. :)

Steve - I've used normal 'alloy' shimano pads for four years at two 20 miler's a week and the ceramic coating ain't even starting to wear yet! They work fine too, but having never used ceramic specific pads, i just wondered if they work better or are just longer lasting, as the normal ones aren't too long lasting.

Avid pads last longer but i find they squeal more and they don't (no matter what avid and shimano say) fit into the shimano brake housings when you buy replacement pads.

Using Ultimates too and as you say - the best v's out there. Even better than arch supremes.

Hmm, anyone used both sets then and can compare the two types?

Apparently you just need ceramic pads if they're new rims to "scuff" the braking surface. Once this is done, std pads will be ok as far as I'm aware ;)

I do remember a reason for using ceramic specific pads.

The heat generated by a ceramic coated rim is greater than a regular rim and apparently destroys brake pads rapidly (I guess this wear depends on how often and what terrain you ride, big hills for fast descents etc)

Hence the need for a ceramic specific brake pad. HTH.

dekerfintheshed":3lfuqfr6 said:
Apparently you just need ceramic pads if they're new rims to "scuff" the braking surface. Once this is done, std pads will be ok as far as I'm aware ;)

Yep, I'd read that somewhere too but it was from a forum and not a manufacturer. Then again manufacturers want us to spend more money! :LOL:

Back