Kona Kula ???? - Help with year needed.

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks.

Bought this Kona Kula frame a couple of days ago and need your help with dating it. Frame numbers are: F712K1003 & 81-35 if that helps!

P3140136.jpg

Going to polish it up and start a rebuild so need to know which forum thread to put it under :? Stripped it down today and began wet n dry rub down.

P3140148.jpg

Also picked up a set of Z1 Bombers and a pair of P2 disc only forks with the frame. Both in pretty good nick so may use the Bombers on the Kula build.

P3130115.jpg

P3130123.jpg

Cheers.

:? :? :? Has my frame got an identity problem? Seller was pretty sure it was a Kula and i'm a Kona novice so not up on the finer points of recognition!

Not really bothered either way coz i've always wanted a shiny Kona. Just need to know what to call it :LOL:

Couldn't save much of the components though. Rear mech is ok. DMR flat pedals are worth saving. The BB was a pain to remove but shifted after much effing and blinding. Strange thing was the bike was fitted with two completely different crank arms ! Also stickers were shot so opted for complete removal.

If it is a kula, it's easton tubed. my pahoehoe (same frame as kula) has the word "easton" stamped on one of the tubes somewhere (as far as i recall)... maybe top tube?
I'm only saying it may be a muni mula going from the colour of the decals in relation to the '98 catalogue and the fact there was no model sticker on top tube....

1999 was the first year that had that rear mech cable routing.

Not sure - my '98 Kila has rear mech cable routed down the seat-stay, though catalogue shows it running along the chain-stay.

So it's a Paho-Kula-Mula-Kila then :? First one of its kind and I thought they'd died out with the Dodo (or is that another Kona?).

Didn't see that Easton stamp when mucking about with it yesterday so will look again. Your right about those sticker colours though on the Mini-Mula!

I don't see any reason to doubt that it is a 1998 Muni Mula.

The serial number says it was built in Fairly in 1997, which is what you would expect of a 98 Muni Mula. The down tube decal looks original. I've never seen that cutout in the non-drive side dropout before. I don't think the 98 Kula had that.

Note the difference in the cable routing between these photos from the 98 catalogue and an actual 98 Muni Mula. As with all the photos in the 98 catalogue, the rear mech routing is shown on the down tube, but they made a change between then and the actual production bikes which had top tube routing.

Muni Mula is aluminum backwards.

Attachments

• 1998 Muni Mula size 19.jpg
    1998 Muni Mula size 19.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,758
  • 1998 Muni Mula catalogue.jpg
    1998 Muni Mula catalogue.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3,758
Cheers for that. It does seem to be a Muni-Mula doesn't it ? Those down tube stickers did appear to be original but what happened to the top tube ones is anybody's guess!

Some more pics if that helps :?:

P3140137.jpg

P3140139.jpg

P3140142.jpg

P3140144.jpg

P3140145.jpg

P3140147.jpg

Stripped

P3140149.jpg

Cheers.

That explains the 'cut-out' - an optical delusion. And at least you have a replaceable mech hanger, which the 97 frames lacked.

There's nothing much wrong with a Muni Mula frame. They used to sell them for £299. The specs compared to the Kula/Pahoehoe are as follows:

Custom butted 7005 aluminum tubing. Top - 35 x 1.6/1.3/1.6t, Down - 44 x 1.8/1.4/1.6t, Seat - 31.8 x 2.5/1.0/1.6t, Seat stays - 19 x 1.8t, Chain stays - 22 x 2.0t. 3.9 lbs (18")

Kula/Pahoehoe
Easton Elite tubing with 7005 aluminum custom butted stays. Top - 35 x 1.3/.9/1.3t, Down - 44.5 x 2.2/1.0/1.5t, Seat - 31.8 x 2.4/1.0/1.7t, Seatstays - 19 x 1.8t, Chain stays - 22 x 2.0t. 3.5 lbs (18")

Note identical stays. A Kula is definitely worth more though, so if you paid a Kula price you would be justified in asking for a reduction.

Latest posts

Back