Seat Binder Torque Limits

Cypher

Retro Guru
Hi All

I've finally found a 27.8mm seatpost to rebuild my bike but I still find it
a tad bit too small, it slides down easily when completely loosened and in order for me to secure it (Shown in picture) I have to tighten the bolt until it kinda bends slightly, since both the bolt and frame made of titanium will there be any harm done to either one?

Please advise,
Thanks

Attachments

• sm02.jpg
    sm02.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,664
Any bolt that is bent runs a higher risk of failiure and if your post is a tad too small for the frame, you may be ovalising your seattube by clamping it up tight enough to hold the post.

Is it possible that you need a 28.0mm dia post?

I would consider buying a 27.2 dia post and shimming it up to 28. USE make a 27.2-28.0 shim it only weighs 7g. You'd also have a much wider choice of posts.

USE shims here...

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... _shim.html

One thing I find which works a treat on posts which are slightly on the small size is wrapping a bit of packing tape around the post (on an angle)before you put it in the frame. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the right amount (make it just tight enough that you have to really lean on it to get it in), but when you get it right all the slipping problems disappear without having to use excessive bolt tightening.

I first used this trick in an enduro race in early 2003 when I had a problem with a shim and nothing else in the toolbox and it worked so well I've been using the tape without the shim on that frame ever since with zero problems.

Give it a go as you won't find a cheaper solution. ;)

Hello, just take a coca cola can, remove top and bottom, cut it through upright and wrap it around the seatpost! That should solve your problem!

Cheers,
Chris

posh26":3aoowl3c said:
Hello, just take a coca cola can, remove top and bottom, cut it through upright and wrap it around the seatpost! That should solve your problem!

Cheers,
Chris

Please make sure you have the emergency sevices on standby before attemting this method. :) I'm just imagining what would happen to me :roll:

Back