1998 Marin B17 All mountain ratter

johnnyp3000

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I've been looking at the forum for a while now and thought I would take some pics of my bike today as it was my first proper ride out on it, great fun too!

Its a bit of a, "whatevers in the basket build". I bought the whole bike in bits for a really good price around christmas time and have been putting it together since then. I've not been riding offroad for about 5 years and this is the sort of bike I could only dream of affording back when I was a kid, so it was cool putting it together.
I seem to have ended up spending a bit more on it than I intended though!

After some snide bugger on ebay tried to rip me off for a broken shock I decided to be a man and splash out on a brand new manitou swinger 4-way to replace the crappy old shockworks rear shock which seemed to have left any semblance of damping in the last millenium.
Some new tioga 2.1 dh tyres and a new front wheel and I was ready to go. Its got hydraulic deore disc brakes which seem amazing (The best I had experienced before were V-brakes) and a few X-lite goodies I took off my old bike. I've got a DMR speedguide to fit but the BB seems to be absolutely welded in so I may switch to a dual chainset and derailleur to keep the chain on.

Next to be fitted are some Marzocchi junior-t's, although I'm a little hesitant as it seemed to be a bit of a slog on the uphills today. The RST Hi-5 seem pretty good after a quick service, and the air damping works well still. The Marzocchis should help out when I take it to some uplift days though!

Oh definately needs some paint soon too :LOL:

Attachments

• my b17 002.jpg
    my b17 002.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5,495
  • my b17 001.jpg
    my b17 001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 5,495
one of my mates had one of those when they were new and it was like riding a pogo stick back then too so I expect shockworks never really bothered with damping. Cool bike though :D

cheers, just cleaned it now. While I was brushing it down the one of the barmen at the pub I live in described it as "the grifter from hell" :LOL:

I also discovered that one of my cranks is 170mm and the other 175mm, which is really strange as these came off my old parkpre which I bought brand new in 1995! :?

looks cool ;) i have one too >

IMG_1946.jpg

any chance of some pictures of the rear disc mount ? i have just finnished making my own one and have started another 2 for other members on here :D

the jr t's will make a world of diffrence to the bike so get them fitted .

big.eck were the big bolt hols the the gold bits attached to already there?
yeah johnny, your bike, there is somethig about it :? kind of mismatched look but i actually think it matches quite well. maybe its the grey frame :? gets some clean pics up! :D

the big bolt holes were there already so i had to cut some brake bosses down and threadlock them into the frame and i made the gold bit myself ;) in my hut :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back