The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price Advice - GT Karakoram (triple triangle) - 1993-95??

Hi,
New to these forums and I am no bike boff, so please excuse my ignorance when describing my bike :(

I originally purchase a GT Karakoram (triple triangle) around 1993-95, although I cant exactly remember, sorry. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me more about it.

It cost around £800. I purchased from J E James cycles in Sheffield. For the first 10 or so years of its life it was stuck in my garage not being used. Then It was used for a couple of years before being covered up again until 2 years ago. Since then I have used it to commute to work (around 8 miles a day)

Its in very good condition and all that has been changed is the brake pads and 1 gear cable. Everything else is original, even the tires!! Although one of them needs replacing now. It has a couple of scratches on the frame and the seat on one side is a bit worn due to me propping it up against a wall but other than that its in good condition.

I have now decided to sell the bike as I want to get a hybrid (looking at Scott Sportster P1).
A colleague of mine has a husband who races and knows a lot about bikes. He advised me to put it on these forums as he couldn't believe that the bike was in such a good condition for its age.

So any advice on prices would be appreciated. I may put it on eBay or sell it here if possible so any people interested let me know.

Should have cleaned it before taking pictures as its a bit muddy but its been raining for flamin days now :(

IMG_1501.jpg

I have other pictures if anyone wants to see any more

kona sex three 18"

how much is it worth please ! pretty much standard just got rs 3 middleburn and hope fatso front hub ?

RedDwarfUK

It's all relative on here as we are basically just putting in estimated guesses but I'd say if it's as mint as it looks you shuld be looking for £200 plus for it.

The bike looks stunning by the way.

Cheers :)

what would you suggest as the best method for selling? Pop it on eBay then put a link in the for sale forum or just advertise it here?

My colleagues husband has put the word out for me and he said he shouldn't have any problems selling it.

Nephew's been offered a GT LTS - however, he's stuck..help?

My nephew has been offered a GT LTS DH frame only, one of the originals with the angular seat tube as opposed to the more curved version that came later. It comes minus the shock. I don't have any photo's however I do know the frame he's looking at as it actually used to be ridden by one of my own racing team back in the day (small world and all of that!) and am quite sure it's been well looked after since.

So..... no price has been given, my nephew needs to make an offer... I have absolutely no idea of the current market for these frames and would like to ask if anyone on here can suggest an 'upper limit' price please?

Many thanks,

Lee.

Re: kona sex three 18"

adastra":1a146krs said:
how much is it worth please ! pretty much standard just got rs 3 middleburn and hope fatso front hub ?
Post a picture, I think we'd need to know a lot more about spec, condition etc to give a proper valuation

RedDwarfUK":26tukgfj said:
Cheers :)

what would you suggest as the best method for selling? Pop it on eBay then put a link in the for sale forum or just advertise it here?

My colleagues husband has put the word out for me and he said he shouldn't have any problems selling it.

To be honest for the ease of selling, knowing its going to a good home and without the horrendous fees I'd advertise for the price you want on here. You know it will go to a good home and it will be easy to deal with people.

If it doesn't sell or no interest after a few days/week on here then put it on ebay. Not patronising I hope bue Ebay will charge an insertions fee, a fee for final sale and may charge you for taking funds out of your paypal account. If you can sell without this you could be saving yourself 10% or so of your final sale price. Plus, if you want a reserve that again cost more money.

So try on here if I were you and like I say, if you get no interest at the price you want whack it on ebay. Ebay has a bigger market but is more hassle. And expensive.

sex three

The only things that have been changed from standard spec are as folowed Middleburn rs3 with middleburn rings, Hope purple fatso front hub on the standard rim, impact headset ltd edition anodised red and the tyres have been changed thats about it. Condition wise has had not alot of use as i sold it to my uncle after about a years worth of use and as he has a 97 kula and a 96 aa and him not liking the ride of it he has not used it alot ! I know it has 1 small chip on the top tube but other than that it is mint. :D

Re: sex three

adastra":3tlcsmwf said:
The only things that have been changed from standard spec are as folowed Middleburn rs3 with middleburn rings, Hope purple fatso front hub on the standard rim, impact headset ltd edition anodised red and the tyres have been changed thats about it. Condition wise has had not alot of use as i sold it to my uncle after about a years worth of use and as he has a 97 kula and a 96 aa and him not liking the ride of it he has not used it alot ! I know it has 1 small chip on the top tube but other than that it is mint. :D
So is this a 1996 Sex Three in the mustard/orange colour, frame like the one below, with its original Judy XC fork and Fox Alps-4R shock and original kit, plus the things you say? Do the Judy and the Fox work well? The fact that they haven't been used much doesn't mean they still work after 14 years!

If you have the original cranks and wheels you would do much better to put them back on there and sell the bling kit separately.

Attachments

• 1996 Sex Three size 18.jpg
    1996 Sex Three size 18.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,340
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back