Two West Midlands Rides - 13th and 20th March

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Couple of rides offered, all welcome (if you think you can manage :twisted: )

Saturday 13th March 2010 - offroad ride in the Forest of Dean, currently with me leading so expect a relaxed place and group decision making at various points. Meet at Pedalabikeaway at 10 a.m. for a 10.30 a.m. departure. Helmets required. Aim is 4 hours or so of riding but can be flexible to meet needs of those who come and and weather.

Cancelled due to lack of interest (!)

Saturday 20th March 2010 - road ride from my house (!), depart at 10 a.m. 65 hilly miles on beautiful, quiet roads with absolutely stunning scenery, especially over Gospel Pass. Compact chainset recommended. Plan is as follows for those who want to check it out on a map - start at Hampton Bishop (HR1) - Mordiford - Holme Lacey - Kings Thorn - Much Birch - Wormelow - Orcop - Garway - Kentchurch - Pandy - Llantony - Capel-y-ffin - Hay-on-Wye - Clifford - Bredwardine - Madley - Hereford - Hampton Bishop. Tea, cake and possibly pork pie at the finish.

Riders signed up:
Ed
CAS
Russell
Dave J + 1

15th March update for the ride on the 20th

I planned to ride the route on Saturday but was forced back after 25 miles or so with a self unscrewing b/b (got to love those Italian threads...). Nevertheless it was stunning. Headed out again on Sunday on an alternative bike, got further but then a broken spoke leading to a slashed rear tyre drove me back. Nevertheless it was stunning and at one point I saw no cars or people for almost 45 minutes - it's going to be good.

On to logistics. As above, depart from my house at 10 a.m. (please PM me if you want address/directions/phone number) so please allow for some 'time lag' when planning your arrival.

What you can expect:
- all riders to be provided with a map/directions (with some options in case of bike/rider mechanicals) and general briefing
- sausage casserole and crusty bread on return
- a guided tour of my shed (!)

What you need to bring:
- a bike in good mechanical order (so not like the two I used last weekend :oops: ) as we will be quite isolated; and make sure the brakes work!
- a compact or triple and decent sized cassette recommended unless you are strong and then 42x23 will do fine
- relatively stout tyres as some of the road surfaces are pretty poor
- at least one spare inner tube if not two along with a multitool etc
- no Camelbak (it's a road ride!) unless you want to carry a load of spares "just in case" and I'm thinking headset spanners, chain whip, 6" adjustable etc.
- at least one large water bottle and some food
- cash for food in Hay (40 hilly miles in with few shops/pubs hence the need to bring food)
- by all means bring a mobile but reception likely to be patchy/non-existent
- helmet optional (I wouldn't say that for an offroad ride)

I think that's all for now, look forward to seeing you on Saturday

Can't do 13th I'm afraid although I really would like to do some off road - it's been a while with the muddy conditions around here.

Would be up for the Gospel pass trip but I'm wondering about actually cycling from home and meeting you either at Much Birch or Wormelow?

Only because I struggle on the climbing so close to the start doing that route from Hampton Bishop! I tend to do better and last longer with a gentler build up to the hilly sections.

Could we have confirmed riders for the 13th and 20th and I'll amend the original post with who is coming.

I'll do the Gospel Pass on 20th, Ed.

I'm really sorry not to be able to go off road in the Forest with you tomorrow. I've got the last sessions of a course I,ve been doing tonight and most of tomorrow otherwise I'd be there-weather looks reasonable too!

Right - time to gird the loins and head off to the Forest myself on Tiny Ti - mixture of road and hard track today and a return journey through Littledean, Abenhall and Mitcheldean on a road I haven't cycled before!

Have a nice day!

Carol

oh.....is there another date we could do off road in the Forest?

CAS":1asu4cxc said:
I'll do the Gospel Pass on 20th, Ed.

Good effort on the 20th, will post up more details a bit closer to the time.

CAS":1asu4cxc said:
oh.....is there another date we could do off road in the Forest?

With SSEC10, HoNC and the Fred Whitton all coming up in the next couple of months I don't think it's likely I'll be organising anything before well into summer (and with the lack of interest in the two FoD rides this year perhaps need to look at what people want).

I'll tentatively put my name down for the 20th. Demo day at Cannock on the 21st though and would lke to try out some of these new fangled bouncy bikes. Not sure I'll be allowed out two days in a row.

I am on for the 20th with another (subject to not having a shaun connery doing a 50 miler in the morning) :cool:

Back