Sub 25lb '98/'99 Orange Clockwork 10th Anniversary Edition

I agree about the weight obsession, I've never bought XTR or X0, or any other top end stuff, hig/med range stuffs where it's at XT, X9 etc IMHO

I also agree that you can build a decent light(ish) bike that you can chuck about without worry for a lot less if you watch the weight Vs £ ratio

The Rebas can be adjusted via a spacer to 80mm & weigh in @ about 4lbs, with remote lockout, rebound & compression damping, awesome forks, shame I missed out on them, it really P'd me off TBH, oh well plan c!

Deffo getting a lighter cassette & tyres* when funds allow, for now I need a set of forks 1st though!

*I do have a set of semi slicks that will shed 150g off the tyre weight when the weather gets better.

Hi Andy,

Lovely Clockwork!

It's good you missed the Rebas. Even at 80mm they will be quite long for the geometry of your frame.

You need some Pace RC36 [90mm travel but a shirt fork] or some RS Judy's

I have some new Pace PC31 ti carbon forks[420mm axel to crown] if you are interested in going rigid, they only weigh in at 700 odd grams and have cant/v brake mounts with them. Steerer tube is 210mm.
They are for sale at 200 quid.

Cheers,

Chaser

Cheers Chaser, I'll have to get some better pics sorted, as the colour is stunning in the flesh, the top pic does show it quite well though

As for the Reba's.... I have found & bought another pair & at 80mm with a A2C of 453mm they might be a little long, but I will adjust the sag to compensate, I like fairly squishy forks anyhoo, so about 30% sag should drop the A2C down to about 429mm

Having gone for modern forks for the time being I think I will modernise some other parts too, I have an X9 rear mech & X7 shifters lying about spare, so most of the bike will be fairly modern & as I'm on a budget to fully retro the bike would have cost more.

Over time & as I get the funds I may well restore the bike to it's former glory, but for now it just needs riding properly, it's been a commuter for some time & hasn't seen mud in ages, poor thing!

Spec update!

This week I've fitted:
a pair of RS Reba SL's
Cane Creek headset to replace the knackered one
Sram X9 rear mech
Shimano XT front mech
Sram X7 shifters
Shimano SLX 11-32t cassette
And new XT SPD's in the post, should arrive on Monday.

Serial no. is: MT80802348 which I assume means it was built in August 1998

Weight is now approx 27.5lbs on my dodgy scales

No pics as yet, camera battery is dead, hopefully there will be some from tomorrows ride.

New pics with new X-lite bars & plenty of modern tat (for now!)

You know I think that stem actually looks ok as it is :LOL:

great set up for a picture andy!

bar looks cool. is it old stock or do they still make them?

As far as I can tell the bars are not made any more, can't get onto X-lite's website to check.

I think the bars are only a few years old, so not period correct, but they do look loads better then the black EA50's I had on before the X-lite's

Now to find an inline silver seatpost in either 27.2mm or 29.6mm ;)

Had her up on the scales today @ work

For those who may be interested she weighs 27.2lbs/12.3Kg. (With a Thomson seatpost & XT SPD pedals replacing the ones in the original spec)

A tyre swap and she'll be under 27lbs easily.

I have no idea the weight is good, bad or average for a Clockwork...

Updated spec list & pics in my 1st post.

Hi i reckon it will be 28LB its steel and them forks wont be light, atleast 4.5LB, they were about 30LB new wernt they? my brothers steel Kona Cindercone 1993 has forks like them on and his is about 29LB, with full deore spec, im building up a 1991 Clockwork at present and keeping the rigid fork and full XT spec and V brakes and i reckon thats going to be close to 27LB

The forks weigh 3.75 lbs.

The bike does weigh 27.18 lbs on the calibrated digital scales at work. Just because it's a steel frame doesn't mean it's heavy, a lot of alloy framed bikes weigh more than my Clockwork

Not 100% sure of the weight of the Clockwork as it came from the factory.

Deore is pretty heavy as components go, I have a mix of XT & SLX with Sram X9 & X7 on this bike, which weigh a lot less than the modern Deore equivalent

With the spec you intend to use on yours it should weigh well under 27lbs, possibly 26lbs, depending on the rest of the build.

Back