Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Funny reading this thread, i saw a Dyna-Tech yesterday, collecting a customers car from their work and there was one locked to a fance with a piddly little lock, was shocked to see it as ive not seen one in years, cant remember what model it was but it was purple/blue and grey and had black RST 281r forks on it iirc, would it be worth me going back and offering a few quid on when i have some spare funds, looked like it was being used by someone small as a commuter as the seat was fully down and the bars fully up on the quill stem lol

The Quantum in the pics above has just broken its Seat bolt on the frame. Is there a standard bolt that fits - my Ogre has a terrible Hex bolt holding the seat post in place. I cant seem to get a proper 5 mm allen key to fit.. :LOL:

I'll always think of the Quantum as the "mutnauQ" - it appeared in an MBUK bike test with the picture flipped back to front.

I had an MT-4. To be honest, it wasn't my favourite bike ever. Way light, but also very flexy (and I'm not a heavy rider). And the rear brake bosses were about nine feet apart, which made setting the brakes up a bit challenging. It also proved a bit fragile - put a big crease in the back end in a low-speed topple (which RSP repaired by replacing the steel stays) and it finally met its end in a crash that bent the top and down tubes and caused the bonding in the head lug to come adrift. It wasn't a very high grade of titanium, being "Commercially Pure" rather than the more usual Al/V alloy and hence somewhat softer.

Still, I had a lot of good rides on it, and that's what counts. I think the earlier "angular lug" steel ones with wishbone stays are my favourites.

IMG00033.jpg

I saw this today... the irl with it didn't know much about it, except it didn't ride very well and she bought it second hand.

It dawned on me after I should have offered her thirty notes for it...

Here are a pair of ex-shop demonstrator Dyna-Tech Titanium forks I purchased on fleaBay last year. I had intended to fit them to my MT5 however, following a chat with the owner of my local cycle shop (who used to be a mechanic at a Raleigh 5-Star dealer and built/repaired lotsa Dyna-Techs in his time), I decided against tempting fate. He said he remembered seeing similar forks to these being delivered to the dealerships with the proviso that they where for display only and that Raleigh couldn't guarantee they would hold-up to being ridden.

dyna_tech_ti_forks_139.jpg

canti_text_673.jpg

bulge_fork_crown_169.jpg

fork_steerer_dropout_text_112.jpg

Ah, the legendary UGLI fork. Can't remember what that was supposed to stand for, though :)

MikeD":3nlngg9g said:
Ah, the legendary UGLI fork. Can't remember what that was supposed to stand for, though :)

Wasn't it 'Uncle Gerald's Latest Invention' ? :?

Ogre XT":3nlngg9g said:
The Quantum in the pics above has just broken its Seat bolt on the frame. Is there a standard bolt that fits - my Ogre has a terrible Hex bolt holding the seat post in place. I cant seem to get a proper 5 mm allen key to fit..

I think it's a standard 20mm M5 threaded bolt. Easy enough to replace with a stainless one from your local engineering suppliers for a few pence.

drystonepaul":3kr5cs3r said:
Ogre XT":3kr5cs3r said:
The Quantum in the pics above has just broken its Seat bolt on the frame. Is there a standard bolt that fits - my Ogre has a terrible Hex bolt holding the seat post in place. I cant seem to get a proper 5 mm allen key to fit..

I think it's a standard 20mm M5 threaded bolt. Easy enough to replace with a stainless one from your local engineering suppliers for a few pence.
It should be M6, drop me a pm with your address Orge XT and i'll send you a titanium one through the post.

sinnett177":x7hsfuwt said:
drystonepaul":x7hsfuwt said:
Ogre XT":x7hsfuwt said:

It should be M6, drop me a pm with your address Orge XT and i'll send you a titanium one through the post.

Sorry yes M6 not M5. It was late, I should have been in bed.
Generous offer though Mark, have you got a surplus of titanium now that you've got your latest Alpinestars?

Back