Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anthony wrote:
rc200ti wrote:
Mattbrown wrote
Quote:
Lava Dome shares the same frame spec as the Cindercone, so why buy that one, save the cash and upgrade to bits YOU want, so cool!

Get your point. Surely we are voting on a package rather than just the frame, and on this basis have to return to original spec. Although well and interestingly specced for the price point I never saw the Lava Dome as cool, chilled yes.

I would suggest you are the precise reverse of correct. You are leaving out of your thinking a very noble, and I think quite cool, mtb tradition of upgrading.

It could be argued that the Lava Dome was *the* upgradable bike of the 90s. The fact that it had the same frame as the Cinder Cone but lower-grade kit made it more cool, more upgradable, accessible to a load of buyers who couldn't afford a Cinder Cone.

Kona always concentrated on the frames rather than the kit, that's why they survive so much better as retro bikes than makes that concentrated value in the parts. And the Lava Dome was the classic example of the frame comes first, upgrade the parts as you go style of getting into mtb.

Apart from the first sentence I agree with everything you are saying :D , best continue this over a pint or two.

I saw a complete spanking example thrown into the local skip... I couldn't quite reach it without climbing in.

I was gutted I couldn't retrieve, nor would the jobsworths let me.

So yes, cool.

Some people like konas, others don't. I'm in the don't like camp, never understood why such average bikes have such a kult following? I'm not speaking from experience as I've never ridden one, but they've never jumped out at me when I've been looking to buy a bike, so that's my problem. Plus, with most other brands, you get more for your money. I do however bow down to some of the kona made parts, such as p2s, curve brakes and some other bits.

I voted cool. It was a good alternative to the more popular mid range bikes from brands like GT and Marin.

The problem was that as a mid range bike you would always see them with decidedly uncool but expensive accessories. I remember seeing one with a Flexstem and USE suspension seatpost.

You would see them with flite saddles and lightweight QRs even though the whole thing weighed 30lbs...

Back