'97 Proflex Budget Build

eastcoaststeve

PoTM Winner
One for the oddballs....

Started with this:
proflexframe1.jpg

Intent was to build up a fun, cheap, single-speed boinger for playing around on.

$118 usd (including the original $60 purchase price), a week's time, and a lot of trips to the spare parts pile led to this:

proflexss8.jpg

proflexss18.jpg

It rides pretty nice once you get used to it, and it put a big grin on my old mug.

Steve

me likey - how much of the chain tension does the suspension take in at full compression? I'm surprised you can get away with a single wheel tensioner.

Crankset is a Rhino (made by Dean):

proflexss20.jpg

It rode really well after I got a feel for where to keep my weight on the downhills and clearing obstacles. As far as the tensioner goes, it has a lot of spring stength, and I didn't notice any problems on the shake-down ride, (I'll keep my eye on it now though ;) ).

A few more detail shots for those who like such things:

proflexss4.jpg

proflexss21.jpg

proflexss22.jpg

Steve

Pickle":taeu08bk said:
Frame looks mint!

Not feeling the stem, but otherwise a nice build.
Um ya, either black on stem or silver on post to match stem and crank and wheels. My teenage daughter would scream fashion fauxpaux.

Dang, I love those cranks. :cool:

First rate my man.

nice fun build ..made from your parts bin !! thats a posh parts bin to have xtr stuff in it :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Might be a bit of a mix with the black and silver, but I was keying on the color combo on the shocks...silver crank/black pedals, silver stem/black bar, rims black center with silver sides, and the black post matches the fork links...never been much of a decorator though :oops: ;)

My parts pile ranges from swanky to junky, but this time I had the "right" stuff for a nice build. Cranks, (which I love too), came from the cracked Manitou, and the XTR brakes came from the Explosif I built up fixed. The rest of the stuff ended up in the pile from multiple builds that have shuffled parts from one frame to another...kind of a MTb musical chairs until they find the right home.

Here are a few pics of the springer in action:

proflexss15.jpg

proflexss19.jpg

proflexss16.jpg

proflexss12.jpg

went over the bars two seconds after the log shot :oops: :LOL:

Cheers,

Steve

Latest posts

Back