1992 Titanium Dyna Tech

Diablo bottom bracket

I’m still riding my red Diablo from 94 although only the frame, seatpost, front hub and the bottom bracket are still original. The bottom bracket has finally had it and I need to change it. You seem to know a bit about it so…… I’m thinking of fitting a Hope bottom bracket, can you see any problems with that or give me any tips?

Cheers

Paul

Re: Diablo bottom bracket

7 Parts":l62iu5e9 said:
I’m still riding my red Diablo from 94 although only the frame, seatpost, front hub and the bottom bracket are still original. The bottom bracket has finally had it and I need to change it. You seem to know a bit about it so…… I’m thinking of fitting a Hope bottom bracket, can you see any problems with that or give me any tips?

Cheers

Paul

All depends on the cranks you're planning to fit. The BB shell is 68mm which is very common, but the axle length will be determined by the cranks. Let me know what cranks you're planning to fit and I should be able to tell you what size BB you'll need.
PM me the details and I'll get back to you.
In the meantime, let's see some pictures of your red Dyna Tech... :)

I'll sort some pictures out of my Dyna Tech Encounter. I am planning on cleaning this up now I have stopped using it. I've got myself a MTRAX for my 20 mile round trip to work each day.

I still think that the Dyna Tech rides better than my Mtrax and it is the new Mtrax they have released.

My old Diablo

Here's my old Dynatec Diablo.
I'm have been doing 130 miles a week on it commuting to work for the last year, hence the state of it and having to replace lots of parts lately. About 7 years ago I decided that rather than get a new bike I'd stick with what I had and put quality British kit on it. Thats not that practical/possible for all parts, but there you go. I stuck on the forks, aheadset, saddle and V brakes. I also decided that as I wasn't really doing much serious off road any more that I would sit up a bit by shortening the distance to the bars, so I put a on a shorter stem and the bars both with a bit of a rise.
I think mine is a year or so later than the one you have as they seem to have changed the design of the rear brake cable guide behind the seat post.
If you do get carried away and do a full restoration I still have the original bars and bar ends if you need them.

Paul

Attachments

• Diablo 2.jpg
    Diablo 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Diablo Bars.jpg
    Diablo Bars.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Diablo Braze On.jpg
    Diablo Braze On.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,168
  • Diablo Cranks.jpg
    Diablo Cranks.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,169
Nice bike Paul and a very clever repair with the putty :) . What size headtube is the Dynatech? I'm after a stem like your original one for my Dave Yates. PM me if it's 1" and you'd be prepared to let it go.

6.5x55":16sw6s6m said:
Nice bike Paul and a very clever repair with the putty :) . What size headtube is the Dynatech? I'm after a stem like your original one for my Dave Yates. PM me if it's 1" and you'd be prepared to let it go.

Thanks for the comments.
The headtube is 1"1/8th so unfortunately the original stem wouldn't be much use to you. Good luck with the search. :)

The trusty Dyna Tech was my chosen bike for all five of my laps at the 2010 Mountain Mayhem 24 hour event. I rode as part of the four man North West Area Team, between us completing a respectable 18 laps.
The full Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread is here.
After trawling through thousands of images online I eventually found these images.

mountain-mayhem-2010-01.jpg

Despite taking two spare retro bikes, this was the one I started out on and liked riding so much that it stayed with me throughout.
Great bike and a great picture.

mountain-mayhem-2010-02.jpg

June 2010: Mountain Mayhem: Retrobike North West Area Team

This is a great bike that gets the wheels ridden off it every week. Must be the best £16 ever spent in RB history.

Back