BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeRkY":3ng41r6z said:
If it were as easy to replace as an lts, there wouldn't be so much concern on my part. ;)

The bike will get a run, but seeing as it has only been together just over a week or so, and has taken just over a year to get to that point. I am personally fine in waiting to pick a time and place to try and reduce risk to rider and more impotantly bike.

So for you the bike is a piece of art rather than something for you to ride ?

I shall ride it, it would be wrong not to, however I wont go crazy on it. I am not a pro downhiller (last time I tried a downhill course I broke my collar bone, and ended up having an ultrasound to check out the not unreasonable amount of internal bleeding I had developed... Odly enough that was a year ago this next weekend... Wishing a happy mothersday over the phone from a hospital bed was not exactly the best thing ever.)

To me it would be similar to giving the last remaining spitfire to a underage drunk driver with no piloting experience to fly. Soon enough it will end in tears and the world will be down one amazing bit of historical engineering. Its like I have developed a sense of responsibility to look after it.

I didnt buy it because it was a DH frame, I bought it because it was a square tubed Pace, and I love the engineering that goes into them, The RC500 really represents an ultimate evolution of a unique & quirky design for me.

Sorry if that loses me points, but the time/effort/cost & emotion that has gone into the build coupled with the rarity has lead me this way with it. I am not sure there are many frames out there that would be quite so difficult to replace. Hell theres probably more C26's surviving than RC500 F1's .

Incidentally my RC200 sees selective use during the summer months, and my RC100 is an all year round work horse. Even taking me to and from work during the icier/snowier weeks of the winter.

OK, here's my entry.

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

in the for sale section 'cough'....

John":q8dix3gm said:
Factory Jackson":q8dix3gm said:
OK, here's my entry.

in the for sale section 'cough'....

Sadly we don't allow bikes that are for sale, as set out in the rules > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8326

It's also useful to give an idea of what the bike is (stuff like year too). From the pictures I could say it's either an Intese or a Kawasaki.

Sorry about that. Ignore my entry then please.

The Bike is a Kawasaki/Intense Team issue M1. One of 5 ever made in '98. This was Paul Garetts bike who was on the team with Ali King, Steve Jones, Nibs Kellett and Nigel Page.

yeti themo dh is one of two in the world and raced at the kamikaze... Did you miss this .... This thread is a bit strange ....

Nibs Kellet? he was a damn fine motorcycle trials rider,used to ride in the local trials with the Bridport club that i am a member of. went to enduro's after a while as he was too good for trials by then! his son had a nasty accident at the last Weston Super Mare beach race.
amazing how this thread has expanded from just bikes to pedal downhill eh?

mtnwing":1qq3ljf8 said:
yeti themo dh is one of two in the world and raced at the kamikaze... Did you miss this .... This thread is a bit strange ....

Your Yeti hasn't been missed. I think it's largely been ignored as you don't seem to actually be entering it for BoTM.
Perhaps you could take some decent pictures of it and start a thread in the Reader's Bikes section with some more information and background history.
It's generally considered poor form to throw a never before seen bike into BoTM, only for it never to be seen again.
That said it looks like a very interesting bike and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see and read more about it.
:)

Just beacause someone has to finish last....

I present my 1997 Mongoose VRS 5.0

Bought it new in 97 and raced XC, slalom, and DH on it. My greatest claim to fame on this bike was racing DH at the Mont. Ste Anne world cup. No big surprise that I did not qualify when competing against guys on prototype Boxxers and such.

In order to race 3 in 3 different types of events I had 2 pairs of wheel, 2 stems, and 3 pairs of pedals. Back then many DH courses had a lot of pedaling so ended up using the regular clipless a lot. The current build is obviously a mess, currently being used as a winter bike (snow pic was from yesterdays ride). Every part of the frame has broken at least once except for the rear shock. If you look close you can see I added lots of carbon to the chain stays as they would break the most, and no chance of replacements.

Attachments

• Mar 003.jpg
    Mar 003.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 566
  • Mar 006.jpg
    Mar 006.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 566
Nice 'goose

Awfully quiet in here, not many bikes up this month by the look of it.

or

Is everyone feverishly finishing their builds ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back