1988 6 speed mavic wheels, what to replace with?

warrior4life

Old School Hero
I've just bought a bertin vitus from 88 and its all good apart from the wheels, it has 105 hubs which are ok but the rims need replacing.
Should i buy modern day wheels or just get some new rims and spokes?
And how do you get a late 80s 6 speed casette on a new wheel...
Whats the done thing with a retro bike?

I'm on a wheel building course in may so thats an option, if so what rims would be recomended?
I would want to spend £60-£100 max on rims and spokes.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!.. Ben

Check out the Bearing races on the hubs - if you think they are OK and the cassette body works, should be ok - get some spokes and rims - hubs can last quite a while longer than the rims in most cases - the cassette body might be difficult to replace if its not working.

I took some terrible rims off a pair of really well preserved hubs a while ago and rebuilt they are still running strong, much happiness in building your own wheels :)

Prob best to replace the spokes, they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things and unless they were installed well, they may be seized and so on, they will rarely be the same size also.

p.s. Good reading material: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

For a classic look, I like the Ambrosio Excellence rims. They are a bit over your budget, but you may be able to get some for less. Mavic Open Pros, or ever the cheaper Open Sports make a nice looking wheel too.

cyclebasket have some good deals on the Mavic rims. They also stock the ACI stainless double butted spokes, which are considerably cheaper than DT Swiss and in my experience make every bit as good a wheel.

I was biking to work this morning and my late 80's 105 rear hub died, it stopped turning and when i took it bits it was a mess (the front hub is still good)
So now im trying to buy a 6 speed rear wheel, is it even possible today to get one?... :shock:

warrior4life":txibs0y9 said:
I was biking to work this morning and my late 80's 105 rear hub died, it stopped turning and when i took it bits it was a mess (the front hub is still good)
So now im trying to buy a 6 speed rear wheel, is it even possible today to get one?... :shock:

SJS still stock a range of 6 speed 126mm spaced hubs, but all are Suntour it seems: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Sun ... bs-107.htm

The only other ones I've seen are called "Quando," they are for thread on 6/7spd cassettes and are of budget quality similar to Sora. Sealing won't be as good, none the less I know a few folk that are happy with them. I think buyercycles used to stock the hubs and had a wheelbuild option available with them. I've seen some complete wheel sets on ebay under a different seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/700c-Alloy-Hybrid ... 48379e2d32

For that price I'm sure you could buy nicer rims (say open sport) and build them back up with the same spokes if the depth of rim is near equal.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've a pair of Mavic 500's laced to Mavic rims with a 6 speed Dura Ace freehub that came off my Gios and are virtually unused-the anodising on the rims isn't even worn through and the DA block is in good nick too. Don't know what they are worth though. That said, I'd love to build my own wheels so maybe you should go for it!

Back