Warwickshire retro ride

I still get cramps Jez. do some light stretching after the ride. when my legs are totally fecked I get my wife to rub them & that helps loads as well :)

Yeah twas funny - never used to get nasty cramp at all. Play squash, run and generally pretty active but that cramp on Sunday was a killer...

I had a double thigh cramp on cwmcarn trail last summer doing a timed lap. couldnt even stand. at that moment given a choice between being kicked in the bolx & double leg cramp I would have chosen the bolx! it hurt that much.. so I sympathesis!
Get plenty of water down ya (esp off the bike!) & for every alcoholic/ caffeine drink, consume the same if not more amount in water.

If theres one thing I've learnt about cycling fitness, its fairly easy to stay fit, its pretty difficult getting fit (both mentally & physically). I had a month off the bike last march for an enforced operation. Getting back on the bike again hurt so much!. Stay motivated & build up slowly (both intensity & duration) :D

Getting back on the bike is really hard .
I find that the first 2 or 3 rides are the hardest . Once I have done them I am OK .
Like Scant said , there is not much to do for cramps except drink a lot of water , but not in one go . It is better to eat and drink little amount but several times , than down a pint of water in one go .

i know theres a lot of bad rep for salt these days but one of the reasons you get cramp is due to not enough salt in your system
especially if your training , doing strenuous excercise
you lose an awful lot of salt through perspiration when you think about it
was told that by a 3rd dan when karate training , and you wont do more training than those guys
proper stretching also helps , before and after

Stretching has recently been questionned as being no as usefull as previously thought .
??

stretching before the muscles are warm is under query, after its pretty much essential unless you've got your own personal sports physio to sort you out ;)

anyway.. this is getting way to serious! ;)

now where was I.. are green chainrings going too far ;) :LOL:

when i was training , we did 3 hours a night
at least 30 mins of that was warm up and stretching
and about an hour of what was left technique
the other 90 mins was reserved for kicking the shit out of each other :LOL:
but it was a gradual build up of the intensity of the excercise
if you were warmed up , you didn`t hurt so much
would never have dreamt of going straight into a fight cold

when fighting in competitions it was the same , about 2 hours warming up
for 9 mins of sheer brutality :shock: all in good fun though

so yes warm up first , no need to go mad , and then build up on the ride

Back