Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

bojangle":3q1kv6c9 said:
Here's mine!
[
dyna-techs003.jpg

The Mission is more of a day to day rider, the frame is a bit stratched up so i tend to use this one for winter rides. For a 20year old bike it rides very well.

I think that's the same as the one I've just rescued! I've been trying to figure out which model it is:

Picture214.jpg

Under the red paint appears to be black, so I think it's a Mission :)

Great thread BTW!

Progress

So it looks my old bike is a 2070. I don't see it in any of the catalogue scans.
What year is the bike and where did it sit in the range ?

It's wonderful seeing all these Dyna-Tech machines still being used.

Now that I am the proud-owner of a Dyna-Tech MT5 I'd love to find out more about them. I have read on other threads about the different frame materials used in them but what I am particularly interested in finding out is how many (roughly) where made and, more-importantly, how many are still around and being riden. Am I correct in thinking that the MT5 was only available as a frameset and not a complete machine? Maybe bikemeister2000 could shed some light?

I'd love to hear from any other MT5 owners or see any images of any other machines (other than sinnett177s LOVELY Team MMC beauty, which I could sit and stare at forever.....)

Attachments

• Dyna-Tech MT5 XMT100 MMC frame sticker.jpg
    Dyna-Tech MT5 XMT100 MMC frame sticker.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7,094
I've got to say that I'm very impressed with both the bikes and the information that everyone has been submitting to this thread, and I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it.

I started the thread partly due to my recent Dyna Tech aquisition and the mystery surrounding it's specific identity.
In trying to identify it I realised that there is lack of readily accessible and reliable information out there, so it seemed a natural decision to try to satisfy my curiousity by starting this thread.
In my early research I came across the 1992 titanium catalogue (many thanks to carlton dyna-tech) and remembered owning a copy of this BITD. I really wanted a Quantum but fate and circumstances lead me down another path and I never ended up owning one. So I guess there's an emotional link too.

In terms of opening the thread up to other Raleigh Special Products bikes, then of course I'd have no objection to that. I'm just as much trying to find out the place that the Dyna Tech brand had within the history and structure of Raleigh, as I am about the brand itself.
I'd still like to find out more about the M-Trax brand too and it's relationship to and genesis from Dyna Tech.

As far as I understand it so far, in the late 1980's Dyna Tech was a term initially used by the RSP division to describe the experimental 'Dynamic Technologies' used to join dissimilar frame materials. In 1990 or 1991 it became a brand name in itself. But a combination of poor distribution, sales and financial problems meant that by 1995 the Dyna Tech project had been shelved and superceded by the M-Trax brand.

I'm obviously still unclear on this so I'd really appreciate any input from anyone with more accurate information. :)

carlton dyna-tech":2de6xz3k said:
Am I correct in thinking that the MT5 was only available as a frameset and not a complete machine?
I'm pretty sure all the MT-* frames were sold as framesets only, I think they had equivilant complete bike models though, eg, MT-4 would be the frame use on the Orge bike.

sinnett177":imop2loj said:
carlton dyna-tech":imop2loj said:
Am I correct in thinking that the MT5 was only available as a frameset and not a complete machine?
I'm pretty sure all the MT-* frames were sold as framesets only, I think they had equivilant complete bike models though, eg, MT-4 would be the frame use on the Orge bike.

Looking at the available catalogues, I'd suggest that too .
I think the MT-3 had Ti main tubes and a cro-mo rear triangle, the MT-4 had Ti main tubes and Ti rear triangle. The MT-5 had metal matrix composite main tubes and a ti rear triangle. All of them had cast aluminium lugs with steel inserts for threads in the BB and a steel shim in the seat cluster lug. (at least in mine)

Well you learn something everyday. I was toying with the idea of building a Team replica but thought that the frame was unique to the team issue untill i saw the frame sticker of the MT5 above!!!! Well i never! :?

Perhaps the replica idea might be back in play, maybe i could even get the cable routing changed to match the team effort!

Back