1999 Litespeed Obed - modern build

sylvain

BoTM Winner
Last summer I rebuilt my '99 Obed to race the Grand Raid Cristalp in the Swiss Alps, which I had done for the first time ten years before with the very same bike. Well the frame at least, but I aimed to build as close to the original as I could with the parts I had on hand.

Here's what it looked like in August 1999 (next to my mate's 98 Zaskar LE):

3854947593_25dd9709eb.jpg

And August 2009:

3854810645_f9c63c0e99.jpg

I had a great race with no mechanical issues whatsoever (except the rear Crossmax rim packing up before the race, forcing me to borrow a heavy replacement). The flimsy Sids were a handful though, especially on the crazy 10km last downhill. I could have done with a lockout too, and discs.

So for this year I decided to keep the same bike, since it's the best handling frame I've owned, but to rebuild it with modern parts I had on my full-susser. I have to say it doesn't look half as good as with the retro parts (I've kept a few though), but it's what it takes if I want to stand a chance to beat last year's time of 7h29.

I had the travel of the forks reduced from the original 100mm to 80, I haven't ridden the bike yet (cables missing as you can see), but will have by tomorrow. I hope the handling isn't affected too much. Despite the added weight from the forks and front disc, overall the weight is pretty much the same, with lighter wheels and groupset. I will probably fit a Ritchey carbon post I have, and maybe (sacrilege) replace the Ringlé stem to save some 90gm, if I can find a suitable 25.4mm stem (Rotor seems hard to find ..).

4411512434_9935fdb24b_b.jpg

Frame: Litespeed Obed 16.5 1999
Bottle cage: King ti

Fork: Fox RL 80 2008

Headset: new King sotto voce
Stem: Ringlé Zooka 105mm
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite
Grips: Ergon race
Barends: Post Moderne

Brakes: XTR (front disc M970 / rear VM950)
Brake Levers: XTR

Shifters: XTR M970
Front Derailleur: XTR M970
Rear Derailleur: XTR M970 Shadow
Cassette: XTR M970 12/32
Chain: KMC
Cranks: XTR M970 170mm
Bottom Bracket: XTR M970
Pedals: XTR

Hub Skewers: Tune
Rims: Stans 355
Hubs: XTR M970
Nipples: DT alloy
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph ~ Conti Race King SS

Saddle: Flite Evo 3 - bit battered, needs some gluing ..
Seatpost: Syncros ti 27.2
Seatpost binder: Hope

Weight: +/- 9.5kg

3855088215_6c0a5aeac3_b.jpg

I might sell one of the two I have, but not before I've got around to replacing the part which thread rounded on the other one (older style with different clamp). Should be hard to find .. I also have 250mm one for which I just need to get a new bolt, will prob sell that one.

cchris2lou":2eidvyrz said:
looking good , have you sold the Yeti then ?
No it's partially rebuilt with the swapped parts and another Fox 100mm I had. I've also just finished reviving the Sunn Dix as a commuter - rigid forks, 9 gears, Crossmax, few purple and blue bits, ti saddle post and bars .. what I had on hand. Pics when there is light :D

I find that stunning at every stage of it's evolution :cool:

Got to get me a litespeed at some point....

Back