BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
REKIBorter":1bjhyyog said:
Christophe Sauser racing downhill 1993. Skinny tubed steel framed bike and 2" of fork travel. Scary :shock:

Sauser is an out and out XC rider. Don't like going down things much ;)

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/videos/play/ ... own-stairs

here's a little something I just googled

How to Convert a Cross-Country Full-Suspension Mountain Bike Into a Downhill Bike

Step 1

Remove any additional accessories such as bar-ends, water bottle cages, reflectors or lights.
Step 2
Lower your seatpost as low as it will go. You may need to cut the seatpost so that it won't interfere with the rear suspension.
Step 3
Replace a narrow racing saddle with a downhill saddle that has stronger construction and a little more padding.
Step 4
If your frame or fork has any adjustability with its suspension, set it up so that you utilize as much of the travel as possible.
Step 5
Change clipless pedals to either a BMX style platform or a platform / clipless combination.
Step 6
Remove the small and middle chainring from the right crank arm, and move the big ring to the middle position.
Step 7
Remove your front derailleur and front shifter.
Step 8
Add a downhill chain guide to the cranks. This will keep the chain on the chainring when going through rough sections.
Step 9
Change your riding position by raising your handlebar height. You can do this by replacing a flat bar with a riser handlebar, and / or replacing the stem with one with more rise to it. You may also want to go with a shorter stem to put your weight back and provide better steering and tracking.
Step 10
Replace a short travel cross country fork with a longer travel suspension fork, or even a triple clamp fork.
Step 11
Run wider tires for better traction and more bump absorption. Wider tires will also give you better handling over rocks and roots.
Step 12
Replace cross country wheels with downhill wheels. Downhill wheels have wider, stronger rims, and usually more spokes, for strength.

If a build can at least attempt to show some of these downhill mods then I guess it will pass at being downhill :(

elite504":2gdfwj38 said:
..........This is retrobike afterall. If its old skool, its in. Thats got to be the underlying spirit man..

Yep I agree BUT please lets not have any builds that look like the were built for going UP them Mountains in the Tour de France :shock: Lets try and keep them somewhat downish ;)

Seemingly we have developed c-26 blindness here on retrobike, that or we'd rather debate the legality of downhill rigs. Is this a replica of JT's old race bike or the real deal?

DSC_0106-1.jpg

Gadro":phfwreyn said:
elite504":phfwreyn said:
..........This is retrobike afterall. If its old skool, its in. Thats got to be the underlying spirit man..

Yep I agree BUT please lets not have any builds that look like the were built for going UP them Mountains in the Tour de France :shock: Lets try and keep them somewhat downish ;)

Agreed :twisted:

Even it's an *ahem* Mongoose....

Attachments

• mongoose (intense M1)_brian_lopes.jpg
    mongoose (intense M1)_brian_lopes.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 580
well its early on a Sunday morning and the voices in my head make me ask this question.

why are there lots of nice CLEAN bikes posted,but mine is the only one out on a trail with mud on the tires?!!

back later,much later to see the grief i get for this,blame the voices in my head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back