BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
REKIBorter":2zkime6m said:
Steve Peat raced DH and won on a rigid Kona. DH bikes cannot be pigeonholed.

he entered a dh race. on a rigid bike and won.

does that make the bike dh specific? a downhill bike?

did he also use the same dh bike in the xc race? ;)

Im pretty sure a downhill bike can be pigeon holed.

What bikes that were once raced downhill national and international is a tottaly different thing, to a DH bike.

Easy_Rider":259i338c said:
REKIBorter":259i338c said:
Steve Peat raced DH and won on a rigid Kona. DH bikes cannot be pigeonholed.

The course is so tame :shock:
Peat on at 6:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X2i9S4r_yQ

Hey, I think I spotted a Team marin in there, perhaps I should pull the entry of my RC500 in favour of my 1994 team.

Actually its amazing to see how things changed on the DH scene between this video made in 93, and 5 years later the likes of the Yeti's & pace. There is a hell of a lot of development in the engineering of the bikes and the courses... the course in the video looks like a towpath in relation to modern courses.

Come on, does it say anywhere in the title or the first post anything about 'designed exclusively for riding in a downhill'

No it just says downhill special, so if you have an early 90's front sus bike, with the then long travel, e.g. MAG21 with the LT kit (which was for downhill setups), slap a big ring on... Then what is wrong with calling that a downhill bike. It's what we road downhill back in the day.
I do agree putting a standard bike in going against the grain though ;)

Again nothing says the whole setup has to be designed around one purpose.

also there should have been a stipulation in the rules for this one that all entries need to enter a RetroBike-Downhill Race if ever one is organised and show their meat.

:LOL:

FluffyChicken":1y3suhss said:
Come on, does it say anywhere in the title or the first post anything about 'designed exclusively for riding in a downhill'

No it just says downhill special, so if you have an early 90's front sus bike, with the then long travel, e.g. MAG21 with the LT kit (which was for downhill setups), slap a big ring on... Then what is wrong with calling that a downhill bike. It's what we road downhill back in the day.
I do agree putting a standard bike in going against the grain though ;)

Again nothing says the whole setup has to be designed around one purpose.

also there should have been a stipulation in the rules for this one that all entries need to enter a RetroBike-Downhill Race if ever one is organised and show their meat.

:LOL:

Agreed here, let's not get hung up on what is what, at the end of the day, the voters will decide the outcome. :cool:

If there's a retro DH race, it'll have to be on a retro set up course - no stupid jumps the size of houses, and bits of pallet in the middle of the air!!
:roll:

I'm going to throw mine in, although it's not clean or exactly ride-able at the mo;

98/99 FSR
BETD long travel linkage
Longer stroke Rock Shox shock - mount repositioned
Hope Big 'uns on Mavic D521
Gazaloddi 2.3 tyres.
Hope closed 2 brakes
XTR rapid rise mech
Middleburn single chainring (was 48 tooth, now sporting a 36 'er)
MRP copy chain device
Azonic super wide bars
Azonic copy stem
Azonic love seat

Home grown DH bike, suited for tight, steep, twisty stuff.

DSCF2028-vi.jpg

DSCF2029-vi.jpg

Christophe Sauser racing downhill 1993. Skinny tubed steel framed bike and 2" of fork travel. Scary :shock:

sauserdh.jpg

Dig that. Old skool, open face and a paintball mask. Cool.
Yeh, ditto the "first post" comment.

This is retrobike afterall. If its old skool, its in.
Thats got to be the underlying spirit man..

gray":24oj5y39 said:
Scrat":24oj5y39 said:
OK i'll go.........................

I see that DH rig is running the patented 'invisible disc rotor system' :D

still way cool, I remember Mr Warner riding these :cool:

Well spotted, I find not braking helps me go faster :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back