Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
howdy.

picked up mikef350's former marin. not sure of model or year but it is 6061 rather than 7005 so assume to be a reasonable one. rear end is tubular steel though which suggests it is an early or low end one.

anyway, i'm putting this together so my dad can give full suspension a try. he is coming out for rides on his 93 khs with long, low stem and i dont think he is enjoying riding it much. thought i'd let his see what life could be like!

fork and crank came from my stumpy fsr and everything else was swept up off the floor.

apologies for the ghetto pic

aufpjs.jpg

I think the front and rear triangles are from different models. The front is 6061 which as far as i can see rules out the shoreline trail as they were 7005. The steel rear end would suggest a lesser model though.

Bike is currently at mikef350's house awaiting cables. It's too big for me but looking forward to giving it a blast. I'm mainly building it for my dad but i doubt he'll like it!

I can tell you this much. That tubular steel(4130?) swingarm is awesome.

And 6061 alloy instead of 7005 suggests that it is high end. I mean it has a superior fatigue life over 7005 because if it was completely solution heat treated and tempered after weld. 7005 frames don't get that.

About that time 6061 frames were still the mainstay of US builders too.

Man, I think yours is the best Marin have ever seen.

Dang, that looks cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

shovelon":199jgovx said:

And 6061 alloy instead of 7005 suggests that it is high end. I mean it has a superior fatigue life over 7005 because if it was completely solution heat treated and tempered after weld. 7005 frames don't get that.

cheers dude. that sounds really sarcastic though! i'ts fully built now so i think i am going to ride it tomorrow. looking forward to it

I didn't ride it but i did have a scoot on it' once again mikef350's done an awesome job of turning a bag of used components into a bike. Had a scoot up and down the road and it feels good. I expected it to bob loads but it seems to behave itself.

lewis1641":1g4xwq9m said:
shovelon":1g4xwq9m said:

cheers dude. that sounds really sarcastic though! i'ts fully built now so i think i am going to ride it tomorrow. looking forward to it
Really, I mean it. That tubular rear section is tits.

Back