Coolwall - Kona Lavadome

Coolwall - Kona Lavadome

• Cool

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As a kid they were always the enemy, being an Orange/Marin fanboy 'un all. Never wanted one, don't see what all the fuss is about, so not cool.

*Puts tin hat on :oops: *

If someone can supply a pic of the 1990 model (splatter paint finish, I believe, from memory) then I'll decide....... :?

If not, then I'll just have to vote not coooooool :cry:

Must confess I do not understand the conditions for cool wall nomination at this juncture. Is it chuck all bike names in a hat and pull one out at random. Was a poll carried out so that the claim this is the bike many of us started on could ring true ?

I started on a Townsend, friends of mine on Peugeots, Raleighs, Spesh's etc, didn't know anyone at all on a Kona. Past cool walls have consigned entire brands to the bin, why does Kona merit only one midrange unremarkable model ?

Back to matter in hand, it looks like a Kona with nothing special spec wise so nothing to mark it out as cool. Not even tepid :?

Still unsure what "cool" means.

The Lava Dome was always a solid bit of kit that got a lot of people started. And that's a good thing. Wasn't perfect but it was a proper bike and it's stood the test of time like the Rockhopper and Clockwork.

Never wanted to own one - but never saw them as fussy, faffy bikes - just as a good no-nonsense ride for people with more sense than money. So my vote is "Cool".

The lava dome is a nice bike and without question cooler than any GT ;)

Cool on a low rent fashion as it just does what its supposed to do and does it quite well.

When they were around they really were not all that cool. But in the later 90's these were cheap as chips tough as nails easy to build up platforms that the Sub Zero Cool As Cool London couriers adopted.
For this........and this alone...........they are cool.
Of course five maybe even six years ago the track bike single speed thing came along.......No cool courier rides one of these nowadaze.

Is really hard to say is it cool or not to me. Always liked nice and well build steel frames but I can't find anything special in this particular bike.

Like a previous poster my mate had a purple 93 model and I always admired it, (even if I didn't let him know). I think they have a clean simplicity that makes them a timeless design. When I bought mine a couple of years ago, I loved it straight away. Have ridden it more than my modern bike and now (for 2 days) it is my only bike. I love it. Cool.

Kona

Hate that long headtube with a passion , never understood why , and as a reult in my book they are definately uncool

Back