Saracen Terratrax crank replacement

DaddyDayCare

Retro Newbie
The chainwheels on my Saracen Terratrax need replacing and I'm trying to find replacements. The originals have been on since new (12+ years!!) and are of the 21 gear IG variety, the front chainset is a FC-MC16, the chain a IG51 and the bottom bracket a LP26, i'm looking at replacing all 3.

Does anyone know which chainsets / bb's will fit???

Thanks
Jay

There are a load of chain-sets that you could use...
I would look for a period LX or XT [compact drive] as you can replace the rings unlike the Shimano Alivio or Acera X chainset that came as standard.
Also LP 26 BB is pretty poor... Go for a UN51/52
Axle length should be 110mm but 113 would be ok too.
Good luck,
Chaser.

thanks for the reply Chaser.
By "period", do you mean one from the late 90's? LX or XT sounds good to me, but what is compact drive? sorry for my ignorance....

as for the BB, would a UN 51 or 52 bolt straight in? I'm assuming the shell size is 68mm, Correct? I've just been getting confused with all this axle length / chainline / shell size business :roll:

Yes, a chainset from late 90's.
Compact drive refers to a smaller spider and rings than older ATB standard
For example an old ATB version would typically have 26,36,48 teeth. Compact drive will be 22,32,44 teeth.
Just check the bolt circle diameter of the chainset you get when buying rings. ATB is 74/110 can't remember what compact drive Shimano is??
Check the BB shell width and buy a new BB according to that width 68 or 72mm. The axle length should be 110 or 113 for a late 90's Shimano chainset.
Check out bikepro website or Sheldon Brown for info on old stuff, sizes etc... They ate both sn excellent resource.
Hope this helps.
Chaser.

Latest posts

Back