Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Funny you say that about the Voyager! When i was working at a bike shop in my teens i got on well with the boss and could buy his own bikes, He was using the Encounter then a Voyager, i went for the Encounter coz of the campag groupset on the Voyager, it was cooler to have shimano back then (and easier to say!!!). That is the only one i have ever seen!

My first MTB was a Voyager, but it arrived damaged so the dealer part-exchanged the frame for an MT-4. Allens Cycles were selling them off half price for just over £400! I've still got most of the original Olympus groupset which was quite nice (lovely hubs, pedals, rear mech) but the horrible plastic brake levers have to be the worst component Campag ever made. And the Bull(sh)it shifters were so bad they sometimes needed two hands to change gear!!

Interestingly, the 21'' Voyager frame had a bent top tube Raleigh called Dyna-Curve ...I've never seen this since.

Found these images while looking through my PC files for Dyna-Tech stuff. Looks like a Voyager with the Dyna-Curve top tube. Can't remember where I downloaded the images from. There is also some 'blurb' about the Dyna-Curve.

There is a little story about my Dyna-Tech 2070 'Team' mtb that I have never mentioned before in the Retrobike Forums and which, I feel, I should 'air (now that we have a dedicated area for Dyna-Tech information).

The current machine was NOT the very first one received in Gosport to be built-up for me. During the build my local Raleigh dealer telephoned me to say that there would be a delay in supplying the complete bike as they had 'struck a problem'. Whilst fitting the headset ball-races the aluminium headset lug had split into two pieces diagonally thus rendering the frame useless. The frameset was returned to Raleigh SPD and another one was sprayed-up for me and, following a delay, I received the machine I am riding today.

Needless-to-say ever since that problem I have always been wary of the headset lug, but to this day (and with a hefty 19-stone rider on it) the machine is still in-one-piece and performing wonderfully.

Attachments

• with Dyna-Curve toptube 2.jpg
    with Dyna-Curve toptube 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 7,549
  • dyna-curve geometry explained.jpg
    dyna-curve geometry explained.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 7,548
ferrus":1me7012e said:
My first MTB was a Voyager, but it arrived damaged so the dealer part-exchanged the frame for an MT-4. Allens Cycles were selling them off half price for just over £400! I've still got most of the original Olympus groupset which was quite nice (lovely hubs, pedals, rear mech) but the horrible plastic brake levers have to be the worst component Campag ever made. And the Bull(sh)it shifters were so bad they sometimes needed two hands to change gear!!

Interestingly, the 21'' Voyager frame had a bent top tube Raleigh called Dyna-Curve ...I've never seen this since.

If you ever want to part with the Olympus stuff bear me in mind ;) .

Carl.

bikemeister2000":udz7xbjw said:
All this gives me a nice warm feeling.

I agree that we should open this up to all Raleigh Special Products frames.

I thought it was :?
As opposed to celebrating just one model

1st post here guys so be kind :oops:

I've got an old Dyna Tech I thought you guys might identify for me. It's very similar to carlton dyna-tech's bike in his picture except it has full suntour xc pro and has the bent top tube.
I got it for my Dad to use but I think the colour scheme wasn't to his taste so it never went far.
When I got it it had no rear wheel spindle, tyres and tubes and some clown has tried to straighten the bent top as its got small dents directly under the bend.
I'll get some photo's up soon to help with identifying the bike.

Thanks
Michael.

I had a 'team' dynatech 2070 identical to carltons - but with a suntour xc pro groupset. I swapped it for a mates dynatech mt4 bitd. Gutted I have no photos for memory. I contacted my friend to see if he still had it, but he broke it doing jumps (parted at lug), although he did admit to shotblasting the frame which wouldn't have been to kind to the bonding.

That bike was really important to me, my parents bought it for me secondhand from battery cycles in Plymouth. And it worked - I got a taste of real mountain biking. I lived on the edges of Newnham park (where the UK part of the worlds was) and once a year got to watch Baker on a bike like mine (paint anyhow) beating Tomac. Brilliant.

I am now (slowly) rebuilding a dynatech 2070 - so if you have spares you are happy to part wish, please get in touch seperately. Will post photos on this thread when it is presentable.

My 1993 MT4, which I've owned from new.

main.php

main.php

The elastomers melted in the Manitou forks (I joined this site when trying to find new ones) so I intend to put the original forks that came with the frame back on. Only thing is I cut the steerer to fit another bike (an awful Ridgeback) many years ago, and now the steerer is too short for this frame. I'm a bit wary of the steerer extenders you can get, so I'm looking at either sending the forks to Dave Yates to do his inner-sleeved join to extend the steerer (no paint damage, but that would mean going to Aheadset and stem), or get a new threaded steerer fitted if I can get someone to match the original paint finish (black with different coloured metallic particles (silver green and purple I think)). Keeping a threaded steerer is my preferred option, but I have doubts the paint finish can be matched.

Components are a mix of Deore XT (shifters, mechs, hubs, brakes) and DX (chainset, BB and headset). Mavic 231 rims, with IRC Geoclaw tyre on the rear and Ritchey Z-Max on the front. Tioga DL2001 bars and a Zoom stem. Onza cromo bars ends and Porcipaw grips. The seatpost is slightly newer (1999, Control Tech); I had a USE suspension seatpost on it originally, but the seatbolt didn't like the shim (seatbolts just kept snapping before it would hold). Dave Yates took off the original seatbolt fastening and made a sturdier seatpost collar for it instead.

I really should get it fixed up, as it's nice and light and quite suited to bridleways around where I live.

Some very nice bikes already posted. I particularly like the MT5 (and, of course, Sinnett's Adrian Timmis bike). Any other MT4s around? I have a 93 Special Products Division brochure somewhere, with frames, the Ogre etc in. I'll try to get some scans and post them.

Damien

Last year I provided Retrobike with a scan of a 1992 Special Products Division brochure for the Titanium Dyna-Techs. Click on this link to open the file in Adobe Acrobat reader. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... 6f5d131902

Below are some thumbnails of what can be viewed in the brochure.

Attachments

• backpage.jpg
    backpage.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 7,463
  • contents.jpg
    contents.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 7,462
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 7,461
Back