MM - The Learning Curve

I think all these are good valid points.

I for one, loved having a marquee in the centre hub area. Mainly because we are up against all the manufacturers etc that are there to make money and theres "little old us" doing it cos of the passion! i felt that we had a good attendance and most people were in awe of the "crazy sights" on display. Maybe more beers are in order on the day too to create more of a buzz about the place - I dunno?

I think though, say for next year, with a bit more structure and more attendees and bikes/supportive material/collatoral we could really make it something special.

I think this year was a TOTAL success and I dont think anyone could have improved it at all really (in these early days). The members wives were super supportive and I found that even though we didnt have an abundance on the stand all the time it went so very very well. Next year will be a knock out and I plan to a) ride b) do the stand c) have better bikes d) have more of my own there supporting the day too. Roll on next year.

Hopefully there will be more of us too to make it more of a crew - this in turn will help the proceedings of the weekend with people sharing responsibilities etc.

All good shit though ;)

Gotta say I agree with Jez here. I thought it was great that the Retrobike stand was in the centre mixinig it with the big boys and it made me feel proud to be 'connected' as word got around and people appeared. More atmosphere next time - deffo.

Don't underestimate people's intention to pop over to an un-official camp of retroness but actually not getting around to it.

We shall build it and they shall come.

I wonder how the organisers viewed our presence? the retrobike theme for comentators seemed to be frequent on the mike.

Team Kawasaki Thoughts and Musings

There is no doubt the whole event was a total success from the Retrobike point of view! The warm and enthusiastic response for the stand indicates we're on to something sustainable, supported by Monday's site viewer record. The next step is to convert those onlookers into forum participants - I suggest we have a Welcome page that outlines how a newbie could go about getting up to speed (as I find such forums initially quite hard to pick up - the banter and jokes can seem obtuse at first until you know the characters).

The stand needs to have really clear objectives next time eg. if recruitment is the key objective, then flyers ought to be given out to make that happen. If fund raising is an objective, then sales techniques ought to be used to ensure people see, value and buy products. People can then be tasked with jobs they are capable and enthusiastic about doing, to achieve those objectives.

From a stand point of view it's great to bask in the spotlight of being 'semi-establishment' - but I am sure there is much more we can do with organisers to become a feature they want and value on their site ie. we shouldn't have to pay! For next year we should plan to be at several key events and begin those negotiations this year - hell, we should have been at Fort William for the WC and be paid to be part of the show!

The social side kinda sorted itself out I guess - like-minded people will always make the most of the opportunity to enjoy themselves. If the numbers increase and we get people turning up who don't know anyone prior, then better planning, funding and leadership will be required - as any voluntary contributions will be saturated, taken for granted and then succcumb. By leadership I mean that forum newbies would inevitably be looking for guidance - including pre-event info all the way to where to camp, being cajoled for contributions or ticked off if they're tossers(!) etc. We should be able to manage this expansion, right?

We all seem to agree that siting the gatherings' camp site against the side of the track would mean we can watch our riders come by - this would be so much better for guests and WAGS too, and better for the social hub for change overs etc. Next year I'd get down on the Thursday to mark out a cracking pitch - it'd be worth the effort. I believe we should be able to recruit non-riders by the bucket load next year for what is ultimately a free weekend's camping - Jo loved it and I'm sure Sarah did too.

Perhaps next year we ought to have a bike build competition with entries being decided only by on-stand votes?? Maybe we have proper prizes and magazine coverage too...?

On the racing side I can't seem to shake the minor disappointment of not being able to ride as a team for 24 hours (non-biking friends think we've wimped out!) - it did seem to be the key aspect of the event!? It also seems at odds with the 'club' that we didn't ride retro all the way - from the reception we were getting when we did, this surely is a must for next year?? The team(s) ought to decide how 'sports casual' they're going to be in advance next time, so we can shuffle people into the right slots. Obviously winning is not an objective, but getting the most out of the event individually and collectively should still be do-able.

As an aside, I've always hated cycling on miles of wet grass, not because of the inevtibale descent into mud (which I perversely enjoyed), but because of the pointless energy-sapping aspect (it's like making hyperactive children sleepy!) - I am left with the feeling that organisers' courses just get more and more benign as the years go by. Perhaps the improved speed of today's bikes demands that if they are to fall off it must be into soft mud or ferns! Gone are the lethal challenges of the NEMBA series it seems...

Neil and Jo

Here here Neil, well said.

I think expansion could and should be managed to ensure the friendly core that is RB remains and doesn't blur into 'other' organisations cliqueyness. But as I say, I think we of all people are perfectly equipped to do that (not least because we are all able to be the butt of a joke!) - Up the retrobikers.

I think we should all be riding retro steeds. I just dread it as I haven't got any that are suspended, and the thought of hours on rigid steel forks takes me to a bad place instantly. But I agree. Kind of defeating the point without - Hold my hand up to that one team! ;)

Pro active would be good too. Flyers, tom ritchey masks, repack outfits, competitions, components in glass cabinets...more pzazz and confidence=more people joining in. deffo more music and inviting front to a stand.

We can but grow from this year. It was truely a sucess.

And I agree that I might get there on the Thurs too as it's obvioulsy all over and everyone's gone before the end, so you might as well start the atmosphere early.

Good points all...

Here are my 2 pence

1) Having an area near the track where we base the camp is cool, it's great to see people coming past on their laps and similarly it's cool to see friendly faces when riding..especially at night..

2) Looking after the stand and racing is hard. i think we need to have a dedicated stand team that do not race, the racers can come and go, but it's a bit of a faff to worry about bikes getting stolen/wet etc when you're due out in 2 minutes.

3) Definitely should have raced retro... My Kona had a few issues (tyre choice and puncture mainly) but I don't think I was any slower on the climbs than I had been on the new bike and the support I got for being out on that was brilliant.

4) Getting there on Thursday is ideal... it was friday when people were milling about looking to be entertained and thats when RetroBike would have come into it's own.. having a power supply to show old films of Tomac and co would be great to..

5) we need the stand in the main area, it was the industry people that were most keen and impressed by the stand in my experience, the guys from specilaised were loving it especially.. plus it was cool to be amongst it !!!

all in all a great start to getting Retro into the public eye and lots of potential to improve...

agree with all your points Hilts.

Deffo the one about Friday's the day people were wanting to be entertained and get swag.

mr.K ~ constructive points raised there.
your certainly right about the racing bikes being retro gear, it's kinda our core business really.
i'm deffo going to ride a classic, thumbies, cnc'd cantis blah-blah and sporting me old giro hammerhead :shock:
you have that in writing, i'm off to check the ad's ;)

Back