1991 Diamond Back Axis

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Following on from Gravy Monsters rather fine Apex, I promised to post this up :)

This was the next model up from the Apex for those who don't know, similar frame but True Temper OX instead of AVR...not sure what difference it makes to the ride though! I picked up the frame with most of the original parts (M730 XT) on a bit of an impulse from Ebay as I lusted for one of these back in the day. There's a fair bit to do though, including removing a stuck seatpost :(

Below are some early pics of the bike stripped down and having the various extra stickers taken off. Note the splatter paint, it looks a bit odd from a distance but sweet close up..

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,269
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,268
mynchiboy":3gelqy3b said:
This was the next model up from the Apex for those who don't know, similar frame but True Temper OX instead of AVR...not sure what difference it makes to the ride though!
I think the tubing used either in that years Axis, or Axis Team (OXII, I think) was the tubing they used in the steel frames DB used a few years later - the TT-Lite frameset (used for the Apex and Axis 94-95) - I think that was OX or OXII custom short-butted.

Neil":12nrd9yu said:
mynchiboy":12nrd9yu said:
This was the next model up from the Apex for those who don't know, similar frame but True Temper OX instead of AVR...not sure what difference it makes to the ride though!
I think the tubing used either in that years Axis, or Axis Team (OXII, I think) was the tubing they used in the steel frames DB used a few years later - the TT-Lite frameset (used for the Apex and Axis 94-95) - I think that was OX or OXII custom short-butted.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've ridden AVR and GTX tubed frames before and found the ride quality great, needless to say I'm looking forward to this one :)

By the way, here's the brochure page for your 91 Axis:-
main.php

edit: My 91 Apex still has the same wheels on, as this, plus I'd kept the Avenir seatpost from my original 91 Apex to put on my recently acquired 91 Apex - although a lovely shiny Deore DX one from ebay will probably replace it.

Very nice :cool:

I look forward to seeing it re-built, It will be a nice bike to ride, I love my DB to the max, such a sweet handling bike that will go on for ever :D

Gravy Monster":365tefq3 said:
Very nice :cool:

I look forward to seeing it re-built, It will be a nice bike to ride, I love my DB to the max, such a sweet handling bike that will go on for ever :D
Makes me wonder what ever happened to my original 91 Apex :-(

Still... least I've got another 91 now :)

Nice to see one of these again ! The frame does look good with the splatter effect. I had one back in the day , unfortunately for only 2 weeks until some git nicked it !! My first full XT bike aswell :( Looking forward to seeing this built up :)

img010.jpg

Back