BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gadro":2l63zknq said:
Tallpaul":2l63zknq said:
Entrants should really take a step back and think 'did I build this bike for the sole purpose of going downhill, fast?' Frankly, the answer for some is no (as evidenced by their spec and use). These entries should be withdrawn and saved for a more suitable month (never mind the fact we've all seen some of them entered several times before :roll: ).

Bang on :cool:

I agree :twisted:
Downhill bikes are designed for going DOWN the hill.

JeRkY":10xcuwxv said:
Gadro, I am liking the Carbon Lobo, makes mine look positively old hat. looking at it I am trying to work out if it is V & disc compatible. It was obviously a top frame of its time so it is interesting to see it would take V's as an option. (The 500 being disc only at the same vintage)

Jerky my '98 Lobo does have V Brake compatibility. I currently have X-Lite blanks in the brake mounts. I believe though that the Lobo came with Discs as standard but may (?????) have come with V's on very very very early production models. The V Brake option was there most probably for those riders still not 100% happy with the capability of new fangled Disc's, even though Discs were already a race proven technology

Gadro":3m74i36c said:
JeRkY":3m74i36c said:
Gadro, I am liking the Carbon Lobo, makes mine look positively old hat. looking at it I am trying to work out if it is V & disc compatible. It was obviously a top frame of its time so it is interesting to see it would take V's as an option. (The 500 being disc only at the same vintage)

Jerky my '98 Lobo does have V Brake compatibility. I currently have X-Lite blanks in the brake mounts. I believe though that the Lobo came with Discs as standard but may (?????) have come with V's on very very very early production models. The V Brake option was there most probably for those riders still not 100% happy with the capability of new fangled Disc's, even though Discs were already a race proven technology

Its actually v brake only with a disc adapter and torque bar is it not?

I like this BOTM just for the debate. No entry here. As a lover of 80's mtb's nothing comes to mind outside of some of the early not commercialy sucessful examples of rear suspension downhill riders. My thoughts on a true factory downhill bike (especially on a UK based forum) lead straight to a 1998 Kona Stab. It looks the part makes Johns ten year cut, and was not made for riding up the hill. I would think a Klunker in the Bomber style would be another excellent example of an early bike designed only for going downhill fast. My vote will be saved for the first quality early Stab shown or a well built Bomber style Klunker.
As always, all subject to change if a cooler bike I am not thinking of shows up instead......

crud":1dg2dwvp said:
Its actually v brake only with a disc adapter and torque bar is it not?

Yep but the '98 Thermoplastic Lobo came with front and rear discs, with a fancy Disc mount linked to the chainstay that's why I said very very early ones may have been in general production with V Brakes. The chainstay on mine does not have the Brace for the Rear Disc and looks like it was sold as V only. The person I bought the frame from told me that the bike was never built up and was exactly the same as when it was originally purchased. Looks like the adapter may have come with the frame as new.

I am now intrigued. Will take a quick look in the Catalogue and get back to you.

i have pre-release photos of the full bike from a 97 issue of mbi, it shows v bosses and the torque arm disc brakes like yours..

Hmmm very interesting, just checked the '98 Catalogue and mine is different :cool: :)

If you get chance would love a copy of that article

My old '99 Kona Stab

2891538099_195b56034c_o.jpg

:cool: :twisted: :cool: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back