1/4 to 1/8 reducer

Thanks Leeww & Digger90, but as B3 already pointed out, I am looking for stem-reducers, not headset-reducers. The aim is to mount a 1/4 ahead stem on a 1/8 ahead steerer.

It could very well be I found a reducer for 1-1/4" to 1", but I am not sure yet. Still looking for 1/4 to 1/8.

B3":2lgqaw7k said:
From what i remember, Zooka's were not the tightest of clamping stems in the first place. Adding another part to compress aswell, might be asking too much.

Probably my 2 other Zookas fit ok, as the clamping piece ate its way in the aluminium :twisted:

A wedge clamp on an aluminium surface is not the no.1 solution for risk avoiding people. I can take the gamble as I don't have kids and other people to care for. So far everything fine.

Elev12k":s1lk88kk said:
Thanks Leeww & Digger90, but as B3 already pointed out, I am looking for stem-reducers, not headset-reducers. The aim is to mount a 1/4 ahead stem on a 1/8 ahead steerer.

The reset reducers will still work.

leeww":2uj4ruwx said:
Elev12k":2uj4ruwx said:

The reset reducers will still work.

no, those reduce the HEADTUBE inner diameter to accept a 1 1/8 head set. Melvin needs a shim that goes on the ahead steerer of the fork to make it larger so the 1 1/4 stem fits. in other words he needs a shim from 28.6mm (inner diameter) to 31.8mm (outer diameter). i've searched up and down and could not find one. the largest outer diameter i found was 31.6mm. there are 2 piece handlebar shims with 31.8mm OD but not with 28.6 ID and i would not use a 2 piece shim anyways. to be honest i would not use a shim on a split clamp stem, like previously suggested.

hmm, cane creek seems to have a shim with 31.8 OD but only 27.2 ID. should be no big deal to bore that to 28.6 ID

http://www.canecreek.com/shims.html

if you use a shim make sure that the slit is right at the front so that the split clamp has a chance to press the shim together.

but is a Ringle stem really worth the risk?? not in my book, i just dont like them...

carsten

Carsten,

Thanks for your reply. The Zooka will come on my SkyExpension (rig like Herbold rode in DH events). It is a purple one and it will look great on it. Currently there is a ControlTech stem in place. Nice stem, but it just doesn't look right.

I currently use 2 Zookas with shim. On my Verlicchi and my Yo. In particular my Verlicchi has seen quite a lot abuse with the setup. In contrary to in the beginning, after some retightening the stem now sits without any hassle for several 1000s now. Actually I feel save, but at the same time it is still not a setup I would recommend to anyone.

On both stems I have the split is at the back. I did that because I reasoned the wedge clamp would press the aluminium in the split if I decided for split front.

I found this on the HiBike site => http://www3.hibike.de/main.php?sessionI ... groupID=31

I think it is a 1-1/4" to 1" reducer, but I am not completely sure on it. A pic is missing, what also doesn't help much. I contacted the people, but so far no reply.

you mean that article?

Reduzierhülse 11/4' auf 1' Gabelschaft für Standard Vorbau

that's a reducer for a standard aka quill stem as i understand it so you can use a 1" quill stem in a 1 1/4 threaded fork. 28.6mm outer and 22.2mm inner diameter would be my guess.

Carsten

Carsten":30v8zgmc said:
you mean that article?

Reduzierhülse 11/4' auf 1' Gabelschaft für Standard Vorbau

that's a reducer for a standard aka quill stem as i understand it so you can use a 1" quill stem in a 1 1/4 threaded fork. 28.6mm outer and 22.2mm inner diameter would be my guess.

Carsten

Yes, exactly

They also spec it like this =>

Reduzierhülse auf 1' Gabelschaft für Standard Vorbau "

I read that as like the steerer is 1" (but I could be wrong, I do not speak German fluently), but the "Standard Vorbau" part makes it confusing. I asked the HiBike people for additional information, but still no reply.

Back