Karapoti - NZ 's hardest MTB race turns 25 years...

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
...and i thought i'd give it a go on my Pace :)

It's this weekend (6/2/2010) located in Upper Hutt, Wellington and i saw it had a retro category...hmmm, i thought...no suspension allowed...take off RC35's, on with the RC30's, check...no titanium no carbon....okay, off with the hope hubs, ti bar, carbon brake levers...check...

50kms offroad, in some of the hardest terrain known in NZ...have i bitten off too much...hope Pace doesn't break... :)

check out the following route description if you're interested :)

http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/255

Full report on Sunday if I survive :)

Rich

Okay, so tried fitting the toeclips and straps to my bike today only to find that my ti TIME pedals have seized to my Kooka cranks....yikes...

Broke two allen keys and a can of WD40 to get the buggers out but to no avail :(

Luckily I have another set of cranks to go on, but had to change from a 113mm bb axel to a 127mm bb axel for them to fit....

Also shaved my legs today which was a blast from the past..two sleeps t go and I can't wait, getting vibed up now :)

Rich

Cheers guys,

Survived it just, did 50 kms in 5hours 18minutes after losing my rear brake on the first downhill of the course and then lost both my toeclips half way through and eventually lost my left pedal...ended up coasting and jogging the last 16 kms to the finish..

Also had a couple of spectacular crashes, four punchers, lost a pair of Oakley prescription glasses and bent my Oakley Mumbos...oh and may have stripped my Mavic cranks with the lost pedal...

All in all a wonderful experience...now give me a dual suspension bike, a new back and a fresh pair of legs and let me at it again :)

Photos coming soon

Rich

p.s.

Bless Pacey, she did a real fine job and I'm surprised she didn't break on some of the knarlier sections of the course :)

Here's some preview photos, bigger paid ones on their way :)

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG