East Midlands Area chat and rides thread

Getting there slowly .

00001-8.jpg

1928 sunbeam frame and forks ( note lack of headset cups )
front mavic hub , fir rim , radial
rear bmx suzue sealed hub , dt revolution spokes , campagnolo rim , 3cross
both tubular
unknown stem

perry":3iyi7cdg said:
Getting there slowly .

1928 sunbeam frame and forks ( note lack of headset cups )
front mavic hub , fir rim , radial
rear bmx suzue sealed hub , dt revolution spokes , campagnolo rim , 3cross
both tubular
unknown stem

nice Perry - keep us updated - looks really interesting

I'm not missing many parts really , bars are in the post , freewheel and chain are easy . I have a chainring , campagnolo front brake . I need to check the drop but as it was made for a coaster brake there's no hole in the forks , later models would have had a Resilion clamp on front brake . I have to work up the guts to drill a 82 year old fork :LOL: Headset is a marvel , instead of press in cups the races are part of the headtube ( I wonder how many frames just wore out ) a press on race for the forks and the clamp part is the top race and works as a spacer for the two nuts at the top . Tighten it down and you don't need a bolt for the stem , I have the original stem and its just two tubes :LOL: Bottom bracket is the biggest ball ache as it's smaller than what we use now so I'm hoping to have some cups made for some nice cranks . Imagine my surprise when I removed the cups to find they were smaller :LOL: both are right hand thread too :?

Well I've bought some thumbies (modern :oops: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91643 ) and picked out a nice XT rear mech from the bag 'o' bits Ed gave me (let me know a price Ed)...

Now I just have to figure out how to hammer and nail it all onto the frame...

...and I'll be ready for a real retro ride at Ticknall.

Is there a morning and afternoon ride planned becuase I may only be able to do PM due to family stuff (although not to do with mothers or F1!)

How's it shaping up?

Although theres no point in waiting for an answer becuse you'll all be tucked up in bed ready for the big day :roll:

Hey Perry...that's really retro! and it's only missing a pump from the downtube... ;)

Legacy555":25j2tedd said:
If I do say so myself that was a jolly good ride last night.

It got frosty very very quickly. one moment it was pleasent and the next it got all fosty.

Mat told me about the time he wee'd on a deer. :oops:

Yes, I was Stag gered ;)

Is there a morning and afternoon ride planned

Hope to do the big loop (reservoir / Repton shrubs) in the morning, go to the Chequers at lunch, and then do Robin Wood, down to the river, along the bridleway to Kings Newton and then back through Robin Wood, so there may be an extremely muddy ride in the afternoon. :D

Back