BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeRkY":2lev2qc3 said:
nporternz":2lev2qc3 said:
modern tyres

no hed wheels

no middleburn dh cranks

no mud??

rubbish ;) ;)

Tyres are just about period correct, cranks are as per a period review of the bike, although I opted for the Middleburn ring over the Race face.

I will grant that it looks a little modern compared to other entries thus far, and am starting to ponder whether the :
Please remember when you enter this is retrobike, we certainly won't be putting anything built in the last 10 or so years through to the final poll.

Was meant to keep the likes of me out :shock: :LOL:

just joshing mate - i LOVE the pace!!

Aye, no worries Niel :) , just wanted to indicate the tyres are pretty much there date wise ;)

Seems to be a difficult month to define. I like the idea to allow early DH bikes, hardtail/rigid/adapted XC etc) that have been known to have been raced/used in DH settings. But I agree they should be shown set up as they would of been in a DH guise. Seems a little bit of a stretch to enter a bike clearly setup for XC conditions just because a similar frame has previously been used in a DH specific build. eg. Skinny little XC SPD's I don't think would of been a common feature on any bike put together for a DH course. As I said, its a tricky one.

Gadro, I am liking the Carbon Lobo, makes mine look positively old hat. looking at it I am trying to work out if it is V & disc compatible. It was obviously a top frame of its time so it is interesting to see it would take V's as an option. (The 500 being disc only at the same vintage)

Gadro":2p8x31as said:
OK Xizang :cool:

a chainring the size of a dinner plate (with the granny removed even if the middle ring was retained) CHECK

Chainrings: Adventure Components AC Holeshot 42T 110 BCD

You obviously don't eat big meals with a dinner plate that size :)
I use to run a 52 up front - really fast but being rigid I rarely made it to the end :)

crud":dutxeqpm said:
agree with most of what you say andrewl but not the magura / disc thing

v-brakes were such a revaltion back in the day. Many downhill competors favoured them over maguras and discs of the time, mike king used them

I was basing the magura comment on the bikes raced prior to V's coming out. I have a number of books which show bikes set up for DH with a canti up front and a Magura at the rear. H-Ball is one rider who used this setup.

There was also a period in the early to mid 90s (92-95) where running a disc on the rear and a canti up front was used a fair bit on the world cup circuit at least.

cchris2lou":f7zgl01k said:
I entered the RTS as Vouilloz used to race DH on one with not many modifications .

And your RTS is a fine looking machine and a credit to you.

If you put your RTS next to Nico's though its the small details and modifications which make his a DH machine.

ameybrook":2c8nxoqu said:
Purpose built for downhill nails it, and I don't think those started popping up until 94 or so. Putting chainguides and long travel Mag 21s on XC bikes don't cut it.

Apart from a few exceptions in the 80s the first readily available purpose built DH frames are around the 92/93 mark with the various brand Verlicchi frames. The DH version of the Manitou FS with longer chainstays with DH stickers on them came out in 93 too along with a number of frames from smaller manufacturers.

Seeing as though we are all playing for 2nd place behind that PACE (maybe 3rd if that Palmer replica turns up!!) I might as well enter this to break up all those GTs

Got this off BeepBeep who, in turn got it from Andrew at Yetifan. Legend has it that this is Marla Strebs spare race bike (one setup and maintained for her by Mert Lawwill) from the 1998 x-games where she won DH gold!! Probably why it is a DH4 with 5.5inches of travel and a custom valved shock. A genuine DH bike used by a genuine PRO!!

Thanks to Neil (beepbeep) Nick (elite) and Chris (scrat) for the parts for this one! I love it and it is the main wallpiece in my friends shop - gets lots of questions!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 748
nporternz":f8e02v0h said:
Seeing as though we are all playing for 2nd place behind that PACE (maybe 3rd if that Palmer replica turns up!!) I might as well enter this to break up all those GTs

Got this off BeepBeep who, in turn got it from Andrew at Yetifan. Legend has it that this is Marla Strebs spare race bike (one setup and maintained for her by Mert Lawwill) from the 1998 x-games where she won DH gold!! Probably why it is a DH4 with 5.5inches of travel and a custom valved shock. A genuine DH bike used by a genuine PRO!!

Thanks to Neil (beepbeep) Nick (elite) and Chris (scrat) for the parts for this one! I love it and it is the main wallpiece in my friends shop - gets lots of questions!!!

Now that is a DH bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back