Crows feet pattern spokes?

adamgent

Kona Fan
I remember working in a bike shop when my boss built a wheel he called "Crows Feet" pattern. Not snowflake, not radial and not regular three cross.

it had one radial spoke for every two that crossed it. In other words (and I thinkbecuase it was groups of three it would only work on a 36 hole hub) on each side there were some radial spokes and they were crosed by one either side.

Really should have thought this through as I am finding it difficult to explain!!

I thnk the theory behind it was that the radial spokes gave it lateral stifness but the to crossing spokes gave it more torsional stiffness. Or something...

Anyone seen one, heared of one, or got any pictures?

Found it!

Good old google!

crows_foot_f2x.gif

or

crows_foot_f3x.gif

Thinking of getting it done for my 96 Hot. Is this where cost outweights effort which outweights performance which begs the question?

This is crows foot

This is "crows foot", sometimes also known as "swiss pattern".

In this case it's on a 24 spoke wheel using bladed spokes (on my 1972 Speedwell Titanium).

Attachments

• davestag 030.jpg
    davestag 030.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,828
Not had any problems, but that's on road (only 24 spokes though and radial non drive).

Main reason I did it was to be different and save a little more weight (total bike weight is a tad over 15lb), but the wheel does seem stiff and responsive. The only potential problem I can see is that the spokes are slightly closer to the rear mech cage in bottom gear than on a standard 3 cross wheel.

crows foot spokes

I have just laced a 217 crows foot onto a shimano 36h rear.
Got to admit it isnt as cool looking in the flesh as it was in my head :(
Will let you know how it holds up (16 stone) :oops:

I'd be intersted in that. Thats my kind of tonage :LOL:

Excellent name Retrobate. Why didn't I think of that! Doh.

Back