Pace extruder groove chainrings - why?

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK, educate me. What in the name of all that is retro is the purpose of the groove and does it work?

Thanks.

Instead of holding mud between the 'ring and chain, the idea was to expel the dirt, thereby prolonging the life of the chain and chainring.

Correct!

Did it ever actually work though? That's the question, as it never really caught on.

I see no problem with the theory. The reason it failed to catch on maybe the usual pace thing of it costing too much to make. The additional machining of the detail would of made them very expensive to produce compared to a typical tooth profile.

I'd say it was done to be different rather that to solve an actual problem.

How many times have you been on a ride and suffered problems because of mud between the chain and chainring?

Me neither

I've got a few Pace rings knocking around. The second generation version looks very pretty too. Similar in appearance to On-One Groove Armada SS cogs only much nicer.
SKOOSSGA.jpg

Krause Racing has been making their Sidewinder moto sprockets for 30+ years.

aluminum.gif

FMJ":1hsz4zv2 said:
Krause Racing has been making their Sidewinder moto sprockets for 30+ years.

Ah yes, Victor Krause aka Mister Know-it-all :cool: - "You should have known".....

That takes me back more than a few years :roll: .

I have got 2 sets of these 26/36/48. I got the first set after reading an article about them in either MBUK or MBR. It said that they were originally made for motocross bikes and Pace thought that they would be useful for MTBikers, as they would be hard wearing and lessen the chance of dirt/grit damage to the chain rings and/or chain.

Back