show us your cross bikes

Re: onetwentyeight's custom crosser

nayfinesse":3db975em said:
Hello onetwentyeight I'm really interested in the mix of tubing used in your crosser.I'm having a bike built and was thinking of using Life for it. Do you know which tubes you used for what i.e. Spirit stays, Zona main tubes. It will need to be toughish and lightish ,my user name is nayfinesse for a reason. Cheers

I'll ask my friend who built the frame if he remembers what was used where. It's been long enough that I dont recall :)

Cross tubeset

Thanks onetwentyeight, I have decided to go for full Life, originally I went for Spirit but thought I should go for something that could take a bit more abuse. Going for Columbus forks .Might make a photo project of it. Hardest choice is paint but I wouldnt go so far to avoid the decision as to not painting it. ;) .It p""ses it down here.

Here is my Marin CX bike, record and easton with a little bit of TA thrown in for taste.

Attachments

• marincrosser1retrobike.jpg
    marincrosser1retrobike.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4,314
  • marincrosser2retrobike.jpg
    marincrosser2retrobike.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4,314
Recent pick up....found this one for sale in Co Springs. Local gal that races cross and mtn bikes in Colorado had it the past couple years. As you can see by the serial number this bike has just a little history to go with it. The serial number is A. DUNLAP. Originally made for none other than the 2001 UCI World Mtn Bike Champion, Three time US XC Champion and SIX time US National Cyclocross champion...Alison Dunlap. The frame is Fillet Brazed Reynolds 853 and was produced at the GT Tech Shop in Longmont, CO. At least three of her national cross titles and maybe as many as five were won on this frame. When I got the bike it was set up as a SS with mismatched wheels. it's obviously seen a bunch of miles/k's. Has some serious head tube cable rub and a few other nicks on the frame and stays but is in overall very good condition. I just grabbed some stuff I had stored in the basement to get it built up to this point. Still had some NOS original GT bar tape. Would like to find some Cane Creek wheels and get it back as close to possible as Alison rode it back in the day. It's a nice arrow in my quiver of GT's and a size my 14 yr old daughter can certainly ride, so it will see some miles. Enjoy!

Attachments

• sc7dunlap1.jpg
    sc7dunlap1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,263
  • PICT1141.JPG
    PICT1141.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 4,263
  • PICT1140.JPG
    PICT1140.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,263
  • DSC01721.JPG
    DSC01721.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 4,263
Just happened upon this thread, and there's some corking machines and components on show. Probably ought to post a few pics of my own 'cross bike on here at some point (Fort Foco with a Sintema carbon fork and a real pick 'n' mix of parts fitted to it, including a Hope front hub in use since 2001 and still on its original set of bearings :shock: )!

David

Not so retro, but.....

....Scott CrossComp 9 speed Shimano 105 with flat bar shifters. Changed from drops recently and it's so much better!

Main spec: 105 drivetrain with FSA Gossamer chainset. Schwalbe CX Pro tyres. Avid Shorty 6 cantis. R440 shifters. Tektro Eclipse brake levers. RaceFace grips. Weighs 9.4kg.

Scott1.jpg

Scott2.jpg

Scott3.jpg

Best one I have of my bike so far, taken in action at Prospect Park, Reading last autumn:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60525/4261610041/sizes/l/

Spec as follows:

Frame: Fort Foco TIG-welded steel, 56cm

Fork: Sintema "Muddy" 1" threadless, carbon with steel steerer

Headset: Cane Creek 1" threadless
Stem: ITM Eclypse 1" A-Head silver, 12cm
Handlebar: ITM Millennium Ergal, 42cm
Bar Tape: Ambrosio (I think)

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campag Chorus 10sp (alloy levers) for "Shimergo" set-up
Brake Calipers: Modolo Cantilever - 24 years old and still going strong!
Brake Pads: Aztec BRBX dual compound cartridge, and are actually V-brake pads (highly recommend these pads for 'cross)
Brake Cables: Clarks

Front Derailleur: Mavic 860 clamp-on
Rear Derailleur: Mavic 840
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: Shimano HG50 13-23
Chain: Wippermann Connex 808
Cranks: Middleburn, 175mm long, 110mm BCD spider, square taper
Chainrings: TA 110 BCD 36/46, silver
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN73 115mm, English thread
Pedals: Time ATAC alium (black)

Rims: Mach 1 CFX silver, 32h, 700c
Hubs: Hope front, Dura-Ace cassette rear
Hub Skewers: Hope (with steel shafts)
Nipples: Mach 1
Spokes: Mach 1
Tyres: Schwalbe CX Pro Light 700c x 32
Tubes: Can't remember, possibly Michelin

Saddle: Selle San Marco SKN, titanium rails
Seatpost: Selcof Mod.31, 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Fort

David

Attachments

• cx_large2.jpg
    cx_large2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5,721
NOS 1997 Rhygin Metax CX

Here's my NOS 1997 Rhygin Metax CX. I have all the parts, but have been just too busy (i.e. lazy) to complete it. The crankset, bottom bracket, cassette and rear derailleur (all NOS) are all period correct so I'm excited to get them installed. I'm not all that concerned about the period correctness in general, as it's a gorgeous bike nonetheless.

Attachments

• RhyginCX5.jpg
    RhyginCX5.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5,706
  • RhyginCX3.jpg
    RhyginCX3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,706
  • RhyginCX2.jpg
    RhyginCX2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5,706
  • RhyginCX1.jpg
    RhyginCX1.jpg