Sachs Quartz hubs.

Any idea if the rear hub's servicable? It all looks a bit "sealed" to me and I need to reduce the spacing for my old skool ( 130mm ) tourer.

If you can hang in there, I am fairly sure I stil have the service manual in one of the removal boxes we are in the process of moving from Copenhagen to Odense.

I think you might find it to be a bit of a bugger though, if doable atall.

As far as I remember, there was a version of the New Success road hub that was pretty much identical (originally Quarz was pretty much just a rebadged New Success MTB group with new shift levers and mechs) in all but axle length. You might be able to get away with replacing a left hand spacer, but I doubt it. I think the locknut thread only went in as far as it needed to. It'll certainly require some plastic hammer work.

Isn't it easier to bend the stays for 5mm??

I know the Koga FullPros can easily be bended to allow for 8s for example.

Simon":2zf6p6wb said:
XTR - The Quartz range was their range-topper, and supposedly quite good. If you come across a rear mech as well do let me know....

Actually, I might be persuaded to let one of mine go if it's worth my while economically - but I'm not desperate. Be aware though that it's the original version that will only run 100% correctly with a Sachs shifter and cassette (sprocket spacing (5mm)was slightly different (as opposed to 4.8mm) giving a wider cassette which means you can't run it on Shimano hubs made for 11T cogs). Later versions had 2 grooves for cable fitting, enabling you to run a Shimano shifter and cassette if you wanted.

Elev12k":3h2oy9pk said:
Isn't it easier to bend the stays for 5mm??

I know the Koga FullPros can easily be bended to allow for 8s for example.

A good number of modern cross frames are made with 132mm rear ends so you can run both types of hub.

On a steel frame he'd be able to get away with it.

dbmtb,
you're a star! From your description of the fiddliness involved I think I might be better off going with elev12k's sage advice and bend the stays. I'm committed to stay with this lovely beast...

393463166_3ed137c1af.jpg

I'm sooo impressed with the Sachs Quartz wheels I bought ( many thanks for your advice Simon ). I'm not going to mess them around as I've had a long term plan to commit the frame to mtb hubs for a while now.

You may be pleased to know that the Deore chainset's gone. Replaced by a Sugino 900 180mm double chainset run off an early nineteenth century 105 double mech ( retro-pimp my ride! )

Back