GT Psyclone

S8-Tom

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just squeezing into the 'to 1997' retro category is this lovely steel beauty.

For many (not so much on this forum) this is where it all went wrong: V-brakes, XTR 95x groupset, semi-slick tyres. For me it's bang on for that 'bike/bits I couldn't afford when I started out'.
To be honest, in 1995 at the age of 14, It wasn't so bad. I'd got my hands on a '96 Zaskar frame. It wasn't built with worthy parts to start with but it was a great ride, I was hooked for life.

Almost 15 years on and the Zaskar purchased 18 months ago to rekindle my youth leaves me feeling battered after a few hours in the saddle. "It never used to be like this" 15 years of bike related abuse (broken ankle and more scar than skin) have left this Southern softy in a poor state.
Time for something comfortable to keep this tired chasis going...

Frame: 1997 GT Psyclone, 16”, Black, True-Tember OX3 tubing, fillet brazed

Fork: 1997 Marzocchi Z2

Headset: Chris King
Stem: Kore Elite
Handlebar: Renthal sub130
Grips: GT
Barends: GT/Kore L-bend

Brakes: XTR M951
Brake Pads: Fibrax
Brake Cables: XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: XTR M952
Front Derailleur: XTR M953
Rear Derailleur: XTR M952
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: Sram 990
Chain: modern XT
Cranks: XTR M952
Crank Bolts: Steel
Chainrings: Middleburn slick shift, black, silver, red
Chainring bolts: Alloy
Bottom Bracket: XTR M952
Pedals: Egg Beater's

Hub Skewers: Kore, black
Rims: FIR M232
Hubs: GT/Hadley
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper Sprint
Tubes: Nutrak

Saddle: SDG I-Fly
Seatpost: Kore I-Beam
Seatpost Binder: PP

Weight: 24 1/2 lbs

Build pics:

Psyclone001.jpg

Psyclone004.jpg

Psyclone005.jpg

Psyclone006.jpg

Psyclone008.jpg

Psyclone007.jpg

Psyclone009.jpg

I've wax-oiled the frame and pressed the headset in. Short term plans are to polish the frame and chase the threads (bb, bottle bosses, mech hanger etc).

psyclone

ooo!

looking nice already :D canna sniff at a psyclone! top drawer race frame's.. it always amazed me how thin the tubing was! the paint was probably thicker :shock:

looking forward to seeing this one built up ;)

Just picked the wheels up. 2 cross lacing (3 on the drive) with red nipps and DT rev's :)

Done & dirty.

Psyclone018.jpg

Psyclone015.jpg

Psyclone019.jpg

Psyclone008.jpg

Psyclone009.jpg

Psyclone005.jpg

Psyclone011.jpg

Psyclone014.jpg

14March10003.jpg

Now sporting some nice L-bend bar-ends from a '99 Zaskar.
I've cut the seatpost down and added some Ti bolts to the fork to save a bit of weight ;)
Steerer tube has been cut to final length as well to loose the spacer above the stem.

Rides lovely and will hopefully be out on the Retrobike Southern meet next week.

tom, i have decided that i don't like you. :x

you have just reminded me how much i regret selling my psyclone, same as that but in the 18" awsome frames.

i sold it, then it got nicked, then it got recovered badly painted, then it was sold to my saturday lad at the shop i worked at, then he sent it to argos for an almost original paint job then he ebayed it, it's now making some one happy in NZ or Oz

:cry:

Corduroyboy":2opku7wv said:
Stem... too bulky?

I know :( it has to be a Kore though and they're all similar. I think it's the steerer clamp that lets it down, it's huge!
A Control Tech setup would be nice but it's difficult to find and the seatposts go for silly money these days.

Thanks for all the comments. I was concerned I'd overdone the red but it all seems to fit nicely. It's not until you get close and have a good look that the red becomes visible.

This is my one-and-only now. Stripped my 5" travel modern bike at the weekend as it's too much for the local routes and I haven't got the time to take it anywhere.

Love it, and love those hubs even more :cool:

Original GT flip-flop stem would suit that better. I got one going onto my skinny steel Karakoram.

Latest posts

Back