Saracen Tufftrax (1987 original)

keithholy

Retro Newbie
Can anyone help please?

I have a 1987 Saracen Tufftrax (original styling with rear u-brake) and my gears are beginning to slip.

I believe this means replacement of the freewheel or cassette but I'm not sure whether my bike has freewheel or cassette! Does anyone know? :?:

The next problem will be finding a 6-speed rear as most are now 7-speed plus but that's another issue! :x

Thanks in advance.....

Some pictures would be a help. Is it running Shimano or Suntour? If Shimano then most likely cassette. Their are shops the still sell 6 & 7 speed kitt

Pre Hyperglide models used 6-speed Uniglide cassettes which are hard to find, my advice would be to upgrade to Hyperglide which are more frequently available but you will need to change your freehub to Hyperglide too. Most 6-speed thumbies will acomodate the extra gear. I'm guessing your bike is Exage Trial.

A useful source of info is http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

If I were you I'd first try a new chain to see if that fixes the issue, if not then you need to establish whether slipping occurs on the front crank rings or actually on the rear cassette, if the rear then you deffo need a new cassette.

agentorange":31o5nw68 said:
Pre Hyperglide models used 6-speed Uniglide cassettes which are hard to find,

A useful source of info is http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

as sheldon says: "Alternatively, you can fit Hyperglide sprockets onto a Uniglide body by grinding or filing off the one wide spline. This is not particularly difficult. You'll still need a threaded Uniglide sprocket for the top-gear position." thats what I've done recently. up until M900 most shimano mtb hubs still had the thread for the last screw on uniglide cog.

Has it got 130mm hub spacing?

If so I have managed to fit a 7spd hyperglide free hub in place of a uniglide freehub [which are only 6 spd.

Let me know if you need any details.

Chaser.

Moved to chat ;)

Attachments

• DSCN2390.jpg
    DSCN2390.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 871
  • DSCN2393.jpg
    DSCN2393.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 871

Latest posts

Back