1991 Rocky Mountain Titanium

Anthony":2z74i9gn said:
It looks as though it's either a 1990 or a 91, so either way built for a short Syncros rigid fork or 50mm suspension. So whatever fork you fit to it, you're surely not going to be subjecting it to the kind of forces that would apply excessive stress to that area. Titanium is as tough as a tough thing anyway, and back in 1990 they didn't exactly under-build mtb frames. If the tubes weren't dead straight, it might be a different matter, but that looks perfectly rideable to me.

I don't think there's anything that could be done to improve it. Titanium is so hard you probably couldn't hammer it out even if you could get an implement in there, which you couldn't.

What fork were you thinking of using Frank?

PS
it would be interesting to know what it weighs actually, as that would give an idea of the fundamental strength of the thing. Let me take a guess at 1.8kg.

A good front end would make it fail there...probably have to be hitting a big double though and you may be worrying about more than the frame!

that'll tap right out, just give it a wee tap with a hammer
178571.jpg

Update… sourced a CK pewter headset and proceeded to fit some parts onto the Ti. ;)

XTR m900 front/rear mechs, XT M737/739 shifters, levers and v-brakes, Amp F2 forks, Dean Ti post (maybe a black Syncros instead), Flite saddle, Race Face Deus stem, Rocky Mountain handlebar (maybe use a black Answer Hyperlite).

Things left to sort out is source a rear wheel/cassette (don't mind the wheels, they're disc and not going on this build), a proper BB for one of my cranksets I already have, and to cable everything up. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,671
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,671
  • IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,671
more…

Attachments

• IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 2,670
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 2,670
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 2,670
RockiMtn":3sifhm0c said:
Update… sourced a CK pewter headset and proceeded to fit some parts onto the Ti. ;)

XTR m900 front/rear mechs, XT M737/739 shifters, levers and v-brakes, Amp F2 forks, Dean Ti post (maybe a black Syncros instead), Flite saddle, Race Face Deus stem, Rocky Mountain handlebar (maybe use a black Answer Hyperlite).

Things left to sort out is source a rear wheel/cassette (don't mind the wheels, they're disc and not going on this build), a proper BB for one of my cranksets I already have, and to cable everything up. :cool:

I think you should keep the Rocky Mountain handlebar and sell the Hyperlite to me. :D

The bike is looking good. Are you leaving the dent as-is? (I would. ;) )

mfh126":2uniq76u said:
I think you should keep the Rocky Mountain handlebar and sell the Hyperlite to me. :D

The bike is looking good. Are you leaving the dent as-is? (I would. ;) )

:roll: don't worry, i'll let you know as soon as i decide it's not needed. ;)

hoping maybe to get a proper Syncros bar for it and the Blizzard. Having a hard time debating where to spread the Canadian parts I have on hand on this and the DeKerf. :p

leaving it as a rider and probably won't bother trying to get it smoothed out.

Hey Frank,

Nice progress. Pewter King headset is a perfect match. Curious what the final build will look like :D

Cheers,
Ben

Back